Pirani filaments.

How to get to vacuum, what the classes are, and what is needed for what job.
Post Reply
chrismb
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:32 pm

Pirani filaments.

Post by chrismb »

Out of interest, does anyone know what the pro's and con's of gold plated tungsten versus platinum/rhodium filaments are?
johnf
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: Wellington New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Pirani filaments.

Post by johnf »

My guess
Cost!!
chrismb
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Pirani filaments.

Post by chrismb »

Well, that was the obvious thing. I've just acquired an Edwards active gauge APG with platinum/rhodium filament. On Edwards website, this one is up for $495 and the other at $471. But does that extra $20 buy you longer life, or better chemical resistance, better accuracy between gas types, all/other?
User avatar
Doug Coulter
Posts: 3515
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
Contact:

Re: Pirani filaments.

Post by Doug Coulter »

I use small wattage "grain of wheat" type bulbs, and they last a long time and cost under a dollar. The trick there is I don't heat them up much. One that is 27 ohms cold I heat to balance a bridge at 47 ohms, well below where the tungsten-air or tungsten-water reaction kicks in. They last a very long time, or until the next inrush accident if you don't baffle them off in a a few inches of bent copper tubing.

I started with panel lamps from computers (yes, the old ones I used to fix for a living had incandescent lamps on the panels, they were quite pretty). Now I use an equivalent 14v lamp (again, 27-28 ohms cold) and don't heat it to quite the double resistance point. A high power opamp suffices to do that with no buffering needed.

Circuit diagram and explanations here.

I should add that these do fail in some tens of hours when powered up in air -- so I turn them off when I'm not pumping. Interestingly they get more sensitive right up to failure, as the tungsten gets thinner....
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Post Reply