HDPE for neutron moderators.

Tips and descriptions of materials you use
Post Reply
User avatar
George Dowell
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:27 am

HDPE for neutron moderators.

Post by George Dowell »

I like HDPE.

I need to learn how to cut the long pieces shorter.

Panasonic makes a circlular blade for plastic with the teeth on backwards. Only saw one once, but they exi$t.

Paid only $2 per pound but shipping was steep ( by truck)

Geo
Attachments
2" stock
2" stock
Long pieces
Long pieces
User avatar
Joe Jarski
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: HDPE for neutron moderators.

Post by Joe Jarski »

After trying a few different saws I ended up using a circular saw to cut the 6-1/2" diameter UHMW for my B10 tubes. I had to make several cuts around the outside and then finish it off with a sawzall, but it worked out pretty well with a regular coarse tooth carbide blade. You have quite a pile there, so I'm not sure how it would survive when trying to cut that much. That's the best thing that I've found so far for cutting it.
chrismb
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: HDPE for neutron moderators.

Post by chrismb »

HDPE should cut 'fairly easily', it comes in 300 or 500 molecular weights, the lower the easier cut. I buy '500' in 10mm sheet, makes it easy to deal with and you can build up the layers to the thickness you want. The thickest 500 HDPE I've cut was 3cm with a hacksaw (easy enough, a little exercise and sweat), but whether your thicker pieces require different techniques, I can't say. You might also need to practice how to cut it accurately, if that is what you need, as your blade may become clogged and 'guided' the wrong way to what you wanted by a build-up in the cut.

The UHMWPE is, by all reports, a whole different kettle of fish so the comparisons between what is needed may vary considerably. I've never dealt with it myself. Contrary to intuition, it has a slightly lower density than HDPE (less 'H' per cc).

George, do you know what molecular weight you have there, otherwise it's a trial-and-error to see what works best.
User avatar
George Dowell
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:27 am

Re: HDPE for neutron moderators.

Post by George Dowell »

No idea on the HDPE specifications, the original scanner is very "national security" coy about everything. Really surprised they released this stuff as well as the BC-704. One panel is equal to a 2" X 60" He3.

Geo
Attachments
BC-704 He3 Replacement scintillator
BC-704 He3 Replacement scintillator
Starfire
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:26 pm
Location: North Ireland

Re: HDPE for neutron moderators.

Post by Starfire »

Try to find a saw with off-set teeth - teeth sticking out at a angle - makes a wider cut but no binding.
User avatar
George Dowell
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:27 am

Re: HDPE for neutron moderators.

Post by George Dowell »

" by Starfire » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:44 am

Try to find a saw with off-set teeth - teeth sticking out at a angle - makes a wider cut but no binding."


Good idea!

Geo
Attachments
Grampa Hazard
Grampa Hazard
Mat Hazard GRIN
Mat Hazard GRIN
Post Reply