BoreHole project

Various things to make charged particles fly
Post Reply
User avatar
Doug Coulter
Posts: 3515
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
Contact:

BoreHole project

Post by Doug Coulter »

Been thinking about doing one for awhile now, as a useful neutron source, and just a benchmark against which to test fusors -- so far, even the pictured design (from the '50s) beats fusors in both output and Q, so why not have one around?
After meeting Mark...well, one thing led to another, and he produced the envelope I need to give this a shot.
Mark's work in quartz thick-wall tubing
Mark's work in quartz thick-wall tubing
The picture probably doesn't do full justice to this -- it's basically perfect.
I've been gradually collecting all the other requirements, including tubing couplers to run this off one of the vacuum systems, and big really HV power supplies and such. Now all I have to do is machine the remaining parts -- a snap (hopefully not literally when I plug in the O ring sealed ends). This might run fine on split supplies, using a floating CCFL to do the ion source, and the split supplies might be as simple as two auto spark coils driven off the same CD ignition module.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Post Reply