So, I ended up snatching one of the pumps for $80 bucks off of ebay and it arrived with tons of gunk on the outside of it. After cleaning the outside, I took a look at the blades and the seemed to be clean and spin freely. Upon seeing Alex's post on the fusor.net (http://www.fusor.net/board/view.php?bn= ... 1283393372) forum with a controller schematic for the thing, I ordered all of the parts required for constructing the circuit. Over the past two days, I've manage to build the controller on a piece of breadboard (just like the picture).
I got around to testing it this afternoon (in air), and it has landed me in a state of confusion. Every time 24-28 volts is applied to pinA on the pump, the blades seem to make about a full rotation and then proceed to slow down and stop. The red light shines constantly and the green light has made no appearance. I wouldn't be surprised if the fault was to be found in the circuit that I built but I've checked it a 'coupla times and saw no fault (other than the fact that it looks like a mess). I here is a picture, who knows, there may be something I'm missing. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadramey/5015568233/)
Anyways:
Should I be concerned that the pump itself is faulty?
Should 24 volts run the motor (for test purposes)?
Is there a simpler circuit I should try building?
Need any more info?
Thanks,
Chad