LaTeX for the forums?

This is where there are basically no rules about topics, or off-topics. Discuss things here of fleeting interest.
Forum rules
Here, you can discuss anything (well, anything legal and not offensive) you want to. Use this for gassing about any half-baked theories, general getting to know one another, and other things that as someone once said, should be forgotten after awhile. This sub forum is set to auto-remove threads that haven't been posted on for a couple weeks, emptied like the office trash can. Almost anything goes here, the idea being to keep the other forums and threads more on topic but in a maximally friendly way. If anything actually worthwhile should wind up here, let me know and I will make it immune from being removed.
Post Reply

Should the board implement LaTeX markup?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:11 pm

Yes.
2
100%
No.
0
No votes
I don't see a need.
0
No votes
What is LaTeX?
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 2

Donovan Ready
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

LaTeX for the forums?

Post by Donovan Ready »

I have it available already, but wanted to check with the members to see if there's any need or use for it here.

If the answer is yes, I have a tutorial page I can link to.

Here's a couple of examples:


Code: Select all

x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}

Code: Select all

\png
      \definecolor{blueblack}{RGB}{0,0,135}
      \color{blueblack}
      \begin{picture}(4,1.75)
        \thicklines
        \put(2,0.01){\arc{3}{3.53588}{5.8888}}
        \put(.375,.575){\line(1,0){3.25}}
        \put(1.22,1.375){\makebox(0,0){\footnotesize$ds$}}
        \put(.6,.5){\makebox(0,0){\footnotesize$x=0$}}
        \put(3.36,.5){\makebox(0,0){\footnotesize$x=\ell$}}
        \dottedline{.05}(1.0,.575)(1.0,1.10)
        \put(1.0,.5){\makebox(0,0){\footnotesize$x$}}
        \dottedline{.05}(1.5,.575)(1.5,1.40)
        \put(1.5,.5){\makebox(0,0){\footnotesize$x+dx$}}
        \put(1.22,.65){\makebox(0,0){\footnotesize$dx$}}
        \dottedline{.04}(0.6,1.12)(1.25,1.12)
        \put(1.0,1.14){\vector(-1,-1){.45}}
        \put(.58,0.83){\makebox(0,0){\footnotesize$T$}}
        \put(.77,1.05){\makebox(0,0){\scriptsize$\theta(x)$}}
        \put(1.18,1.16){\makebox(0,0){\scriptsize$\theta(x)$}}
        \dottedline{.04}(1.5,1.41)(2.1,1.41)
        \put(1.5,1.44){\vector(4,1){.67}}
        \put(2.22,1.59){\makebox(0,0){\footnotesize$T$}}
        \put(1.95,1.45){\makebox(0,0){\scriptsize$\theta(x+dx)$}}
      \end{picture}
User avatar
Doug Coulter
Posts: 3515
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
Contact:

Re: LaTeX for the forums?

Post by Doug Coulter »

Donovan, for those who don't know what it is, could you put in an example like the one you sent me?
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Donovan Ready
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: LaTeX for the forums?

Post by Donovan Ready »

I did. The first example above.

Here's the tutorial: LaTeX tutorial.
johnf
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: Wellington New Zealand
Contact:

Re: LaTeX for the forums?

Post by johnf »

Donovan
Just did a Google
I'm all in favour
But I think this is not what you mean
But Still good on the eyes
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=LaTex ... ruhnjX3cTM:

And yes ther is some LaTeX in there
:mrgreen:
User avatar
Doug Coulter
Posts: 3515
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
Contact:

Re: LaTeX for the forums?

Post by Doug Coulter »

Tee hee. I'll have to ask Tara who is coming for the week if she brought any plastic to unwrap her from.
The pics would start the bits here on fire, so I won't post those.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Donovan Ready
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: LaTeX for the forums?

Post by Donovan Ready »

John, you can actually add pictures of women in latex to LaTeX markup, but as Doug says, it'll make the pixies angry. :lol:
Donovan Ready
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: LaTeX for the forums?

Post by Donovan Ready »

Since so many people are using the tutorial, I went ahead and made it live. Notice the new bbCode button in the posting form.
User avatar
Doug Coulter
Posts: 3515
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
Contact:

Re: LaTeX for the forums?

Post by Doug Coulter »

Cool. It didn't seem to break anything. If I ever catch more OCD I'll use it instead of scanning my crummy hand drawings.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Donovan Ready
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: LaTeX for the forums?

Post by Donovan Ready »

The Mathtex server has been changed to John Forkosh's site, and it seems to work fine.

In August when I release my domain, the link to the examples page at the Joint will be broken. I'll see if I can find John's page, and I'll edit my above post.

Edit: And it's done..
Post Reply