Forum rules
This is a good place to put pix of your lab or shop intended to produce the drool reaction. If topics get lengthy here, we may want to move most of the discussion to where it fits in the org scheme here (such as it is). Good place for announcements of things you just got working and so on. Respecting readers who may not have large bandwidth, try and keep the pictures to about one megapixel -- we have the BW and the storage here, no problems, but some readers may not.
Finished my bell jar shatter guard tonight. Made it from a piece of perforated steel from a 24" rack cabinet door. Top was some sheet metal at my dads shop. Cut it into a circle with a Beverly shear. A piece of 1x1/8 steel strap was rolled to fit the OD of the top. Then tacked them together. Today I broke the clamping edges and mig spot welded the perforated steel to the top and made a hook for the jar lift to grab on to. Hit it with some black paint and called it done. It clamps on to the jaw with some very soft rubber around the bottom edge.
No question they are bad, any kind of plosion. I've been fairly lucky though. I have been right next to a guy who dropped a big, new 25" CRT, and we both got covered in little bits of glass, and the ceiling had a few chunks in it, none of that would have gone through a board, though, but then the geometry was a little different. I 'ploded one of my wine jug bell jars with a stray beam heating a spot (about 3 liters) and it was a mess, but my blink reflex saved my eyes, and I got hit, but no cuts. That thing is a lot bigger, though -- more time for the bits to be accelerated. Avoid things that may spot-heat it and you'll probably be OK. Nearly all deposition processes should be just fine in that. At any rate, you sure don't want to have to buy one new!
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.