We take safety fairly seriously around here. My old pistol range backstop was showing its age, so I decided to replace it, and here's what I did. You will note that as installed, the old one still looked pretty good. Taking it apart shows some flaws however. In my situation, that's not super bad, as there's a hill behind the range to catch strays. But I like to recycle the lead...and that guy was about to totally lose it.
Here's the front after removal. The black stuff is "cattle mat" from Tractor supply.
And here's the back side...issues. I used cast iron for this, not because it's the right thing, but because someone donated it and it's half an inch thick. But brittle. One more session and this would have been dust.
Like I said, I don't like my bullets to get away, and especially not the ones others who use my range are kind enough to donate to my bullet casting hobby.
So, I made another bullet catcher, which will be the next post(s) to keep under the picture limit of the board.
New season, new backstop
Forum rules
Don't do illegal things. We don't want that kind of attention here.
Don't do illegal things. We don't want that kind of attention here.
- Doug Coulter
- Posts: 3515
- Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
- Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
- Contact:
New season, new backstop
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
- Doug Coulter
- Posts: 3515
- Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
- Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
- Contact:
Re: New season, new backstop
So, on to a new build. I managed to call in a favor and get a 2' by 2' piece of mild steel 1/4" thick for $30. A little under the McMaster price, and shipping was toss it in the back of the truck while on my errand loop anyway. I welded rebar to it for mounting on my stand - gravity holds this heavy stuff real well. Especially with that black cattle mat bolted on - it's super heavy by itself.
So heavy, my lazy behind used a tractor to move this stuff any distance further than 6 feet. I ain't gettin' any younger or stronger.
The above makes recovering the bullets a snap.
And now for a test - full power (bowling pin loads for you who know what that means - .45 ACP +p+ ...) Enough to remind you of the arthritis in your wrists even in a heavy firearm. No, I'm not telling how much unique was behind those 230 gr HP bullets. You don't want to know (or die).
And now for a test - full power (bowling pin loads for you who know what that means - .45 ACP +p+ ...) Enough to remind you of the arthritis in your wrists even in a heavy firearm. No, I'm not telling how much unique was behind those 230 gr HP bullets. You don't want to know (or die).
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
- Doug Coulter
- Posts: 3515
- Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
- Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
- Contact:
Re: New season, new backstop - test
Lookie, a virgin!
Time to get serious. Draw and shoot 10 shots "as fast as possible" - no, I'm not Jerry Miculek. One of his forearms is one of my thighs, for crying out loud, and it matters in rapid fire.
Gun was a CZ-97b, my favorite .45, even including some real custom "race guns" I've made or shot. This one just works super well. Almost anyone who shoots it is amazed how well they do...I wasn't trying to make it hard for myself, but neither did I use my hyper-accurate .38's with red-dot sights - I wanted to make sure this thing would hold against any handgun. 230gr supersonic load...
But you're dead anyway if I was shooting at you.
So, did we engineer this well enough? See for yourself. I think this season is a "go". Though some wood did give its life to help out a little.
So, did we engineer this well enough? See for yourself. I think this season is a "go". Though some wood did give its life to help out a little.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Re: New season, new backstop
Lookin good man! Recover that lead and smelt it down for shielding! 
Mechanical Engineer, Minor in Nuclear Engineering