3D printing in metal

Stuff you made and how to make cool stuff
Jake Gray
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Re: 3D printing in metal

Post by Jake Gray »

I don't think 3d printing vs cad/cam vs manual machining is a valid comparison. They are different tools and have different strengths for different applications. I saw a wonderful 3D printed turbo exhaust manifold done in titanium that would have been difficult/impossible/expensive with casting, machining or fabrication. It's another tool in the box.
User avatar
Doug Coulter
Posts: 3515
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
Contact:

Re: 3D printing in metal

Post by Doug Coulter »

^^^ this. :mrgreen:
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
johnf
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: Wellington New Zealand
Contact:

Re: 3D printing in metal

Post by johnf »

Doug
Don't forget you have thta titanium knife blade on your work bench somewhere that I gave you
3D printed and all
User avatar
Doug Coulter
Posts: 3515
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
Contact:

Re: 3D printing in metal

Post by Doug Coulter »

Somewhere being the key word, as I can't seem to put my hands on it at this instant.
For those not in the know, John visited here and brought what I'd describe as a scuba diver's knife he'd made in his lab out of titanium. If I recall right, he then nitrided it via direct nitrogen ion bombardment in an accelerator. Sure is sharp...I probably put it somewhere "safe" as a result. Sometimes the creative chaos around here is just plain chaos and I'm usually missing a few things I'm *sure* I have somewhere. Someday, I'll get around to putting a proper handle on it. For more detail, ask John.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Post Reply