The photos show the slow progress - I have yet to complete the rectifier and bus bar's - the circuit will be a 'Delon' doubler - the grey caps are rated at 12kv and the final working voltage 22kv for the main bank. The discharge needs to be a spark gap with graphite electrodes ( thanks again Doug ) as I don't have a large enough thyratron
also in the photo, a HV choke
Shown also is the 11kv pole pig as the main drive transformer
Progress - if slowly
- Doug Coulter
- Posts: 3515
- Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
- Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
- Contact:
Re: Progress - if slowly
Well, that sure is a pretty setup and a good looking beginning. I hope you like loud bangs and blinding flashes! Remember that most coin shrinker class things (which this looks like) cause even some fairly strong coils to just explode from the magnetic forces at super high peak currents - and that HV inductors sometimes short or arc internally and fail to limit same. I think I'd make myself a blast shield to get behind when testing new things with that, which I plan to do for some experiments with those 6 kJ Maxwell caps I've got...that's the energy, roughly, in a .50 bmg round - and those kill after penetrating a concrete wall.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Re: Progress - if slowly
Doug,
it is mainly for beam discharge in Nuclear experiments - much work still to be done - I need 4 " x 1" Aluminum bus bar's - every thing has to be a brute and the rectifier is Russian 1500v studs at about 150amp - still making the 18" x 12"x 20 off cooling fins and yet to tackle the gap.
it is mainly for beam discharge in Nuclear experiments - much work still to be done - I need 4 " x 1" Aluminum bus bar's - every thing has to be a brute and the rectifier is Russian 1500v studs at about 150amp - still making the 18" x 12"x 20 off cooling fins and yet to tackle the gap.