3D/cad modelling 'non-starter'

For those who are willing to help others.
Forum rules
This is for those who don't mind doing something a little extra for others, using their core expertise, so the other guy can get on with his project in his own field. Barter is encouraged, if it's for money that's fine too, however.
Post Reply
chrismb
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:32 pm

3D/cad modelling 'non-starter'

Post by chrismb »

Hi Guys,

Well, I have now wasted several hours trying to find a freeware 3D package that works for me.

It is really frustrating because the tasks I need to do are so elementary it's as if these modern-fangled tools find it too elementary, d@mn it!

I've been trying 'Blender' and '3Dcrafter'. All the others I installed seem to have their own formats, so not suitable for sending models to http://www.shapeways.com, which is the purpose of this exercise and where I intend to send off for some ceramic parts to be made.

For the life of me, these packages do not appear to make available some of the following basic tools I want

- this is all I want and need!!..:

1) Make a cuboid, and specify the dimension and position co-ordinates manually*
2) Stretch a cuboid edge to make a trapezoid.
3) Make spheres and cylinders, and specify the co-ordinates manually
4) Add and subtract* one shape from another
5) Define a cut plane manually and cut objects in two
6) Export as STL, Collada or X3D

*(for the life of me, I cannot find any trace of how to do this in these packages!!!)

Is this too much to ask from a freeware package?

I've used several packages for building up [physics] simulation models and none were ever as unintuitive and overly complicated as these.

So, I would like to ask if you guys can point me in the right direction for the simplest software that can do these, or .... could I ask if someone might help me out and just generate these files for me - it'll take me all of 10 minutes to email a pencilled engineering drawing !!! It's really just a few blocks with holes in that I need to be put in a CAD format.
User avatar
Joe Jarski
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: 3D/cad modelling 'non-starter'

Post by Joe Jarski »

Chris,
My "normal" job is designing things on CAD. I can't help you out with the freeware - I've never used it. For that matter, the expensive systems aren't much better. They've done away with the good "old" software in favor of the new stuff that's takes 3X as long to do a simple task. Anyway, I can create the files for you if you want to send me a sketch.
chrismb
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: 3D/cad modelling 'non-starter'

Post by chrismb »

That would be absolutely super! Thanks.

I'll work on them over the next few days.

Much appreciated.
Jerry
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:07 am
Location: Beaverton, OR

Re: 3D/cad modelling 'non-starter'

Post by Jerry »

Check out Autodesk 123D. Its free:

http://www.123dapp.com/
Post Reply