Doug Coulter wrote:Every CCFL supply I've had grounds one end of the transformer
When you say 'ground', Doug, what is that grounded to? Should I see continuity through to the input wires?
I've never seen a 12 w one with a single output as they don't make the bulbs for that
It's 4W rated. I'm just running it at a higher voltage, and it seems to run fine like that.
It won't be stiff with that ~27 pf cap in the output (and many stages in series on top of that). I use .01's when I want stiff (like to run a phototube or ion source).
Well, yeah, I have been using 10nF's, but today I was trying out different ratings and it didn't seem to make much difference. So what I have in mind is that I'll drill down to the cap, tap it there and replace the existing cap with a higher voltage rating. The thing is, you just made me realise that whichever side of the transformer is held to ground, there is still that small ballast cap propping the supply up. Now, if I am pulling good juice out of it like this (which I am!) then I need not replace that cap with anything bigger. And as that is going to be, as you say, 30pF or so, all I need are 100pF 30kV caps, which are much less that a $/cap.
This is going to work out cheaper than I expected!!
I think you're going to find the first real arcs once you have a bunch of stages toasts most of this, but I'd be happy to be wrong (and CliffS and his counterpart at Glassman who've spent many decades working this problem all day every day would be quite redfaced if it truly works and they missed it, not to mention a bunch of other career HV engineers).
Well, sorry, yes I think they have missed this option. I have looked very hard and have not found any previous accounts or attempts of using multiple independent power supplies feeding a single stack before.
A conventional stack just seems wrong, after contemplating this. Why have stiff lower stages and floppy upper stages, when you can feed the same power into each with a decoupling cap? If all the power goes in the bottom, you've got too much loss at the excessively-stiff bottom and too soft and squidgy stages at the top!
Of course, all those caps you're having to add make it more expensive to make in real production -- the HV ratings really cost, which is why the standard stack design keeps the volts/cap constant and low.
As above. I'm now aiming for 100pF ratings.
Since the transformer secondary is not perfectly coupled to the primaries (usually one push pull for the transistor outputs and one for the royer oscillator feedback) the load will affect the oscillators, and making something resonant with the leakage inductance will have "funny" effects on it all. In the ones I use, you can unground the other side of the secondary winding and float it a little -- but not much, the insulation there isn't that great. The only things I've seen that just use an inductor (tapped at that) and kickback are the camera flash supplies -- and they are super inefficient when tested here.
I'll have to munch through detail like this as it hits me in practice. I make absolutely no claim to be an electronic's whizz - quite the opposite! I'm an 'ideas' man who tinkers with hardware based on a few [possibly misconceived] simple ideas, but I keep fiddling until it works. It usually does, and the things that don't work... well, I've just not fiddled with them long enough, then!!