VA Tech fusor team visit
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.
Re: VA Tech fusor team visit
I don't think this is a problem nor does the rest of my team, but we're looking at getting 2 or so 50 kOhm, 225 W or 175 W resistors since we couldn't find any fitting the bill at 100 kOhm, but is there a problem with putting 2-225 W resistors in series? Just wondering about the overall power rating, but like I said, we just think the main thing to look at is the resistance; I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!
- Doug Coulter
- Posts: 3515
- Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
- Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
- Contact:
Re: VA Tech fusor team visit
The only issue with them in series is they are big and bulky, so you probably need to figure out a way to support them to do that. That's where it gets a little tricky -- can't use plastic, or at least not near the resistors, it'll melt. You might make a plastic base to hold them, but then use wood for the R's to rest on (at just a couple of points). At least if you get it too hot, you get some warning that way.
Power rating of two is twice one (assuming they are the same R and so split up the dissipation evenly).
100k might be on the small side for a new system break-in -- you'll have to be extra careful, and hope that the peak current won't still trip the arc detector in the supply -- and shut you right back down. I don't have the info on your spellman on how big the R has to just eliminate the arc trip sense, but it's probably in the couple hundred K range.
Power rating of two is twice one (assuming they are the same R and so split up the dissipation evenly).
100k might be on the small side for a new system break-in -- you'll have to be extra careful, and hope that the peak current won't still trip the arc detector in the supply -- and shut you right back down. I don't have the info on your spellman on how big the R has to just eliminate the arc trip sense, but it's probably in the couple hundred K range.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.