NZ to Virginia: damn, that's a long flight!
>Are you thinking micro-inverter panels or a full grid tie with backup batteries?
Well, I just don't know! It seems there is a lot to learn about the pros & cons of each system.
I don't like batteries, I know that much. So I'm leaning towards using the ...
Search found 48 matches
- Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:20 am
- Forum: Alt energy
- Topic: 'Exciting Solar Opportunity'
- Replies: 3
- Views: 12918
- Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:06 pm
- Forum: Alt energy
- Topic: 'Exciting Solar Opportunity'
- Replies: 3
- Views: 12918
'Exciting Solar Opportunity'
Hi Everyone,
Apologies for the long silence. I've been in my new place for 10 months now, and it is finally starting feel like home (although I only unpacked the fusor a few weeks ago). The house was built before World War II as a barracks for the housing of Royal Air Force personnel, around 1935 ...
Apologies for the long silence. I've been in my new place for 10 months now, and it is finally starting feel like home (although I only unpacked the fusor a few weeks ago). The house was built before World War II as a barracks for the housing of Royal Air Force personnel, around 1935 ...
- Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:29 am
- Forum: Shop tips and kinks
- Topic: Drilling ferrite?
- Replies: 6
- Views: 17248
Re: Drilling ferrite?
Yes, that's right. There are two ways of going about it: either drill the piece entirely under water, or stop frequently and add water. The second approach is more effective as it creates an abrasive slurry that does the actual cutting. You really need to keep the drill bit cool though, otherwise ...
- Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:35 pm
- Forum: Run Data -- just the facts please.
- Topic: Runs after new HV FT - some interesting!
- Replies: 5
- Views: 11960
Re: Runs after new HV FT - some interesting!
Doug,
The silver activation numbers are proof enough for me. And I think I understand what you are saying about Paschen's law allowing you to bring the grounded copper pipe so close to the grid, but I'm trying to visualise the electric field in this area. Surely the field intensity must be higher ...
The silver activation numbers are proof enough for me. And I think I understand what you are saying about Paschen's law allowing you to bring the grounded copper pipe so close to the grid, but I'm trying to visualise the electric field in this area. Surely the field intensity must be higher ...
- Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:05 am
- Forum: Theories and speculations
- Topic: quantum wave theory
- Replies: 6
- Views: 19068
Re: quantum wave theory
Quantum wave theory aside -just a quick note about cellular replacement:
Biology operates at a higher (molecular) level – ‘who we are’ is contained within the human brain by specific connections between the brain cells. The contact surfaces of the neuronal projections (axons and dendrites) are ...
Biology operates at a higher (molecular) level – ‘who we are’ is contained within the human brain by specific connections between the brain cells. The contact surfaces of the neuronal projections (axons and dendrites) are ...
- Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:24 am
- Forum: Metrology
- Topic: DIY Hornyak scintillator build
- Replies: 5
- Views: 16694
Re: DIY Hornyak scintillator build
This looks very promising Doug! Nice work. EMI immunity is definitely worthwhile in this environment!
It would be nice to know that each head has an approximately similar interlayer thickness/sensitivity if we are going to use them as a standard.
I guess you could supply the button head with a ...
It would be nice to know that each head has an approximately similar interlayer thickness/sensitivity if we are going to use them as a standard.
I guess you could supply the button head with a ...
- Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:30 am
- Forum: High Voltage, High Power
- Topic: Cockroft Walton multiplier redesign
- Replies: 9
- Views: 22499
Re: Cockroft Walton multiplier redesign
Yes, absolutely - it is not enough that it 'just works' or 'sometimes works', it has to work reliably every time and preferably have some spare capacity. I feel that in order to make progress we need fusion 'at the flick of switch' (close to what Doug has achieved), systems that we can rely on to ...
- Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:01 am
- Forum: High Voltage, High Power
- Topic: Cockroft Walton multiplier redesign
- Replies: 9
- Views: 22499
Re: Cockroft Walton multiplier redesign
Yes, actually I am rebuilding the stack and the driver. The stack is the priority though, and is nearing completion.
Some of the capacitors have small cracks and chips in them, which is a bit of a concern, but I will power up slowly and see how it goes.
I have tripled up the diodes, and will only ...
Some of the capacitors have small cracks and chips in them, which is a bit of a concern, but I will power up slowly and see how it goes.
I have tripled up the diodes, and will only ...
- Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:21 am
- Forum: High Voltage, High Power
- Topic: Cockroft Walton multiplier redesign
- Replies: 9
- Views: 22499
Re: Cockroft Walton multiplier redesign
A quick update on CW stack redesign progress:
Only one major change to this design - I recently received an off-forum suggestion from an ex-FusorForum member suggesting that some of the large capacitors could be redeployed:
"The first capacitors on each side arm, but only the first, hold back half ...
Only one major change to this design - I recently received an off-forum suggestion from an ex-FusorForum member suggesting that some of the large capacitors could be redeployed:
"The first capacitors on each side arm, but only the first, hold back half ...
- Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:13 am
- Forum: High Voltage, High Power
- Topic: Cockroft Walton multiplier redesign
- Replies: 9
- Views: 22499
Cockroft Walton multiplier redesign
I am currently modifying my Cockroft Walton multiplier. It has too many stages (9) and lots of apparent voltage, but not much under load. So I'm reconfiguring it using the parts that I have, for more current and a lower voltage.
The small caps are 3300 picoFarad at 10KV, the larger caps at the ...
The small caps are 3300 picoFarad at 10KV, the larger caps at the ...