He shoots, he scores! Mass spec under $300
Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:03 pm
Bill's been at it again. The other day this pretty nifty thing showed up, and it actually works. Not only that, the manual was written by a person with English as their native language, and is for a change -- complete. Full schematics, and the thing is made out of stuff I can still get easily, but old enough to fix should it break. But, it's not broken! Needs some calibration, but that's a snap with a good manual, so I'll be doing that this afternoon. Here it is looking at my smaller system, which has been up to STP for a couple of weeks, so there's plenty of trash in it. Some of those "echos" will probably go away with calibration and of course, the system getting cleaner. It's baking now.
I'll try for a better picture later, when what's on the screen is more impressive (and agrees with my gages). The previous owner had set the sensitivity way high.
Anyone know where I can get filaments for this thing? Probably cost 1/3 of the price we paid for the entire thing, but hey -- still worth it. They claim two types, thoriated irridium (!) and thoriated tungsten. They call them part number M102 and M102(t). Ametek is such a large company, I doubt I'll be able to get much out of them (they seem to own many other companies, of which Dycor was one). It'd be like calling up 3M and trying to buy tape!
I'll try for a better picture later, when what's on the screen is more impressive (and agrees with my gages). The previous owner had set the sensitivity way high.
Anyone know where I can get filaments for this thing? Probably cost 1/3 of the price we paid for the entire thing, but hey -- still worth it. They claim two types, thoriated irridium (!) and thoriated tungsten. They call them part number M102 and M102(t). Ametek is such a large company, I doubt I'll be able to get much out of them (they seem to own many other companies, of which Dycor was one). It'd be like calling up 3M and trying to buy tape!