Tokomak
Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:17 pm
You're not going to hear me say I think toko's are a great idea anytime soon, as I don't like the physics model much. But hey, they are doing nice work anyway, and in this case, have a nice spokesperson.
http://www.ccfe.ac.uk/videos.aspx?currV ... urrCateg=0
I like the big flywheels so they can get more peak power than the British grid can provide...
In a fairly strange twist of fate, someone has decided that for ITER, they need a real fusion source first to test some parts, and a variant called a spherical tokomak does that better....hmm, why then are they still planning to build the inferior model "in the large"? I have no clue, and they're not saying.
But here is an example of one. http://www.ccfe.ac.uk/MAST.aspx
This and slight variants are being proposed to actually make enough fusion to test things like wall blankets for ITER -- because ITER won't! ??? If it works that well, and right now, well, I see a little cognitive dissonance going on there.
So far it seems all these guys are testing with DD, then extrapolating to DT, which of course makes much nastier fast neutrons. They are planning to breed the T in a 6Li blanket material, using unspecified "neutron multipliers" as they need more neutrons to breed T than the DT reaction makes, or more accurately, they won't capture the required 100% of them needed to breed enough T, assuming zero losses of it.
Does that smack of driven, sub-critical fission to anyone else? Why then are fusion-fission hybrids being talked about as a separate issue?
Clearly, either I or they don't get something here.
http://www.ccfe.ac.uk/videos.aspx?currV ... urrCateg=0
I like the big flywheels so they can get more peak power than the British grid can provide...
In a fairly strange twist of fate, someone has decided that for ITER, they need a real fusion source first to test some parts, and a variant called a spherical tokomak does that better....hmm, why then are they still planning to build the inferior model "in the large"? I have no clue, and they're not saying.
But here is an example of one. http://www.ccfe.ac.uk/MAST.aspx
This and slight variants are being proposed to actually make enough fusion to test things like wall blankets for ITER -- because ITER won't! ??? If it works that well, and right now, well, I see a little cognitive dissonance going on there.
So far it seems all these guys are testing with DD, then extrapolating to DT, which of course makes much nastier fast neutrons. They are planning to breed the T in a 6Li blanket material, using unspecified "neutron multipliers" as they need more neutrons to breed T than the DT reaction makes, or more accurately, they won't capture the required 100% of them needed to breed enough T, assuming zero losses of it.
Does that smack of driven, sub-critical fission to anyone else? Why then are fusion-fission hybrids being talked about as a separate issue?
Clearly, either I or they don't get something here.