Hi All, from Aus

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Hi All, from Aus

Postby Brad_Cunneen » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:31 pm

Hi guys and gals.

I was just being lazy, still in bed because the solar LVD hadn't switched back on to make a coffee and I stumbled across Doug's video on Motherboard.
I live on the other side of the pond in Australia, living off grid and can relate to Doug's lifestyle.
I also like tinkering with technology and finding way to improve improvise or just DIY a solution.

I can't say I've tried to build a fusion reactor but marvel at the idea and was only talking about it the day before to a friend.
I have currently played with the idea of DIY Planté style battery's and have found a simple way to produce these at home and have been getting good capacity. I'm happy to share if anyone is interested.
I am also playing with NiFe battery construction in a different way that seems simple and have done small tests that worked but still need improvement.

Cheers, Brad
Brad_Cunneen

Re: Hi All, from Aus

Postby Doug Coulter » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:43 pm

I tried some alt tech batteries, even huge nicads. At the time, most of my solar gear wouldn't easily handle the wider voltage range ni-cads needed.
I think some sort of redox flow battery might work out pretty well for these fixed installations - we don't care what they weigh or how big.
(and the electronics are better too - but I still have an inverter from 1979...)
Most of them are kind of a fuel cell where the battery electrodes take no chemical part in the reaction so that can last "forever". And the newest ones don't need Nafion membranes (expensive stuff). You might want to look at those...

I'm using submarine batteries, old school lead acid. They're already >12 years old and still like new - I don't beat on them really hard.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby johnf » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Welcome Brad
I live on East island from you (NZ)
Have a good read
Fusor.net may also be a good place for you to look around
johnf

Postby Brad_Cunneen » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi Doug,
Yeah flow batteries are a great idea. I have looked into these but only a little. I think they will be the future of electrical storage.

Yeah batteries from a sub are an awesome find. They are more than likely solid Led - Led battery like the ones I am playing with.

Hi John
Yeah I'm keen to check it out, thanks
Brad_Cunneen

Postby fusordoug » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:43 pm

Sorry to take so long to approve your posts...we're all learning in this new mode. Do check out fusor, we share people with them if not always the same opinions. A bit different mission and scope, they have (or did have) a lot of really good FAQs they wrote in self-defence to the endless slight rephrasings of the same questions. Definitely worth a read.
Why guess when you can know? Measure!
fusordoug
Site Admin

Postby Brad_Cunneen » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:47 pm

Haha that's fine Doug, my bad. You can delete the double that I posted if you like.
Brad_Cunneen

Postby fusordoug » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:59 pm

Actually it's my bad, or phpbb's bad, they defaulted to needed new users approval for every single post and then don't tell me about them unless I ask.
I think I fixed it for this and for playpen, the only places you're allowed to post today. We'll get you promoted fairly soon, as you're obviously alright.
Some others I get...not so sure. Not a hell of a lot of intelligent life on FB I hear - though some are forced on by the others. </old fart rant>
Why guess when you can know? Measure!
fusordoug
Site Admin

Return to Announce yourself