Hi from Munic, Germany

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Hi from Munic, Germany

Postby segelfam » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:05 pm

Hi alltogether,
my name is Thomas Rapp and perhaps some friends of this forum know me from the Richard Hull's fusor forum. I got to know about this new forum from Bill Fain who was on a trip in europe and had the time to visit me at my working place in Munic university.
My interests are wide spread over all natural and technical sciene. Main interests are physics and electronics puplished in my three homepages
http://www.rapp-instruments.de only german language
http://www.pulslaser.de only german language
http://www.roehren-museum.de german and english version

nowa days I'm working on a ultrasonic microscope and a small scanning electron microscope made from old cathode ray tubes and of course trying to generate neutrons with all means

Thomas

PS: my mother laguage is german and I hope you apologize my clumsy english
segelfam

Re: Hi from Munic, Germany

Postby Doug Coulter » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:41 pm

Welcome Thomas!

I speak only about 5 words of German, but hey -- I understand you fine and I think everyone else will too.
Bill brought me a copy of your books to look over, and schematics and pictures and math don't care about that anyway.
We both think you should go for an English translation/publication of them as they would be popular here in the USA at least, probably some
other English speaking countries as well. I can tell it's great stuff. I'd be glad to help as I can.

I'm sure we'll be glad to hear whatever you have to say here -- you are "our kinda guy" -- good practical knowledge as well as theory, you really do things and know what you are
talking about, as I knew already.

You could post your stuff about your PIC based PHA here someplace (metrology?), and I'd be grateful to have it -- I'll maybe even translate the assembly language to C for all,
as we do a lot of PIC work here in my shop anyway -- we like those chips a lot, and I'm using some in my fusor data acquisition system already. And I happen to need a decent PHA myself
right about now.

Oh wow, I didn't realize you were into tubes -- I have a HUGE collection; we might send a few nice ones your way if you are interested in them, send me email and I'll send you a list of what we have (many cubic meters of tubes, some very old, some new). Joe Sousa, who hasn't posted here yet (Joe, wake up!) is also a tube expert of the first order. For example, see a post of his on radiomuseum. Talk about slicing and dicing everything there is to know or find out about something, he does first rate work too. And he speaks German besides. Gotta get you two together!
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: Hi from Munic, Germany

Postby johnf » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:28 pm

Hi Thomas

My German is even worse but with a boss here in NZ that is German I'm picking up the odd word, usually not repeatable
I do search out the odd German word for effect in naming apparatus in the Lab but the boss wasn't too amused when I put a Pickle Hauben on his new safety helmet

I did work in Germany for a few months for ANT Bosch in Backnang ( hopefully I spelt that right) about 50kms north of Stuttgart ( I probably spelt that wrong as well and as you can guess from my surname my ancestors came from Germany).
johnf

Return to Announce yourself