Efficient generator #2

Alternative energy sources
Forum rules
The usual. As I have two large solar PV systems here, and my lab assistant just put one in, and others are interested in things like this, here's where that stuff goes. This is mostly for things that work now, not "gee someday a fusor will do this" -- we know that, but it's not someday yet.
The hope is to save anyone embarking on this sort of thing a lot of wasted time and money, as at least I have been off the grid since 1980 and have had a lot of practice (and made mistakes you won't have to).
chrismb
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Efficient generator #2

Post by chrismb »

Doug Coulter wrote: You can actually go all day long hearing no man made noise at all.
Believe me, that is heaven for me. I am turning more and more into a total sono-phobe.

I was working in an anechoic chamber a few months ago at a customer's location and I was just thinking 'ah, I'd love to call this my bedroom' when the guy said 'isn't it really freaky in here!'.
User avatar
Doug Coulter
Posts: 3515
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
Contact:

Re: Efficient generator #2

Post by Doug Coulter »

You'll have to come and visit then. :) It's not quite like the chamber; my dad had one, that was freaky because it even ate noise you made -- here there are reflective things around. But it's awful close most of the time. People with tinnitis complain, because there's nothing to drown it out, and it bugs them more than usual. The honda is about 55db, you can hear it, but it's all LF at about 30 hz (frequency depends on how hard the engine is working at the moment).
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Post Reply