Little KnightKit T-60 to be used with fusor

High frequency, antennas

Little KnightKit T-60 to be used with fusor

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:58 pm

After I do a mod to get it into the right frequency range. After replacing some electrolytics that were getting scarily warm, even after a slow re-forming on the variac, it's here putting out around 30w into a warming dummy load at 6.775 mhz or so (what I had a crystal for). Otherwise no mods yet. I've wound a new coil for the driver network (they used a design to select the "right" harmonic, so that stage is tuned) for the lower frequency I think we'll want (1.5 mhz or so) and will replace the 80 meter one with mine. Then, a new tank coil - the existing one has lousy Q anyway.
At least now, nothing is getting hotter than it should, it's a little less output than hoped but still 30w and no smoke...new tubes may help and are on the way, but it'd be minor, it appears to be running as it should, and now I've collected data not even in the manual because no one had a scope that fast when these were sold, so I'll know if I'm getting the new band operation right.
Like a raspberry pi - a low-consequence way to do some fooling around, if it goes up in smoke, no big deal...
20180718-RFAmp-5.jpg
On the test bench putting out all it can.

20180718-RFAmp-6.jpg
new 520 uH coil for interstage pi network (80m was 92 uH).

The manuals at BAMA.

Fairly forgiving little piece. It'll get hot with continuous key-down eventually, but for some minutes it's fine.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to RF