The daily link

It appears some of us are interested in the business of trading, hopefully for both fun and profit.
Here's a place to talk about that. I suggest two main categories. How to trade (timeless), and what are you trading now, and why, and how it turned out. Those tend to be missing from the pro boards, so pundits can have selective memory....but that's not all that is important. Being wrong is part of the game, and how to handle it and make money anyway is crucial, for just one example.
Forum rules
The usual. Be nice, be informative, tell it like it is.

Re: The daily link

Postby Doug Coulter » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Pix by WB7 here - quite inspiring. http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/20 ... izard-ponz

The Symbolism Hidden Within "THE WIZARD of OZ"
~ author unknown

The "Wizard of Oz", written by L. Frank Baum, is not a mere child's story.

What is "Oz" a symbol for? Ounces.

What is measured in ounces? Gold.

What is the yellow brick road? Bricks or ingot bars of gold.

The character known as the Straw Man represents that fictitious, ALL CAPS, legal fiction - a PERSON, the Federal U.S. Government created with the same spelling as your birth name.

Remember what the Straw Man wanted from the Wizard of Oz? A Brain! No juristic person - legal fiction - paper corporation has a brain because he/she has no breath of life.

What did he get in place of a brain? A certificate: a Birth Certificate for a new legal creation.

He was proud of his new legal status, plus all the other legalisms he was granted. Now he becomes the epitome of the brainless sack of straw who was given a certificate in place of a grain of common sense.

Now, what about the Tin Man? Does Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) recall anything to mind? The poor TIN Man just stood there mindlessly doing his work until his body literally froze up and stopped functioning.He worked himself to death because he had no heart nor soul.

He's the heartless and emotionless creature robotically carrying out his daily task as though he were already dead. He's the ox pulling the plow and the mule toiling under the yoke. These days, his task masters just oil him nightly with beer and place him in front of a hypnotic television until his very existence no longer has any meaning or value. His masters keep him cold on the outside and heartless on the inside in order to control any emotion or feeling that might arise.

The Cowardly Lion was always too frightened to stand up for himself. Of course, he was a bully and a big mouth when it came to picking on those smaller than he. (Have you ever noticed how bullies are really the biggest cowards? They act as though they have great courage, but, in reality, have none at all. They roar, but with no teeth of authority to back them up.) When push came to shove, the Cowardly Lion always buckled under and whimpered when anyone of any size or stature challenged him. He wanted courage from the Grand Wizard, so he was awarded a medal of "official" recognition. Now, although remaining a coward, his official status allowed him to be a bully, but with officially recognized authority. (He's not unlike the Attorneys who hide behind the Middle Courts of the Temple Bar.) et al ad infinitum.

What about the trip through the field of poppies? Did you notice how this had no narcotic effect on the Straw Man (no brain) or the Tin Man (no heart or soul)? They weren't real people, so drugs could not influence them.

The Wizard of Oz was written at the turn of the century, so how could the author have known America was going to be drugged?

The Crown has been playing the drug cartel game for centuries.

Just look up the history of Hong Kong and the Opium Wars.

The Crown already had valuable experience conquering all of China with drugs, so why not the rest of the world?

What was the Emerald City? The Federal Reserve System.

Who finally exposed the Wizard for what he really was?

Toto, the ugly (or cute, depending on your perspective) and somewhat annoying little dog. Toto means "in total, all together; Latin in toto."

What was it that the witch wanted after she alleged that the little dog had bitten her? TOTO. ... everything. Notice how Toto was not scared of the Great Wizard's theatrics, yet he was so small in size, compared to the Wizard, that no one seemed to notice him?

The smoke, flames and holographic images of Oz were designed to frighten people into doing as the Great Wizard commanded.

Toto simply padded over, looked behind the curtain (the COURT, etc.), saw it was a scam, started barking until others paid attention to him and came to see what all the barking was about. Who was behind the curtain?

Just an ORDINARY PERSON controlling the levers that created the illusion of the Great Wizard's power and authority.

When Toto pulled back the curtain and completely exposed him, the charade was at an end. (The veil hiding the corporate legal fiction and its false courts was removed.)

The Wizard's game was UP. What was he after all? ... a con-man. A FRAUD.

We can see, in this tale, just how loud the bark from a little dog can be.

How about YOUR bark? How big is it?

Most of us remain silent and wait to be given whatever food and recognition, if any, by our legal master.

Let us not forget those pesky flying monkeys. What perfect mythical creatures to represent the Bar Association Attorneys who attack and control the little people for the Great Crown Wizard, the powerful and grand Bankers of Oz: GOLD!

How, finally, was the evil witch destroyed? .... pure, clean water LIQUIDATION!

How, at last, did Dorothy get home? She simply clicked her heels. She always had the power, and SO DO WE!

What would it take to expose the Wizard for what he is, tearing away his veils?

We each need only a brain, a heart and soul --- and COURAGE.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:28 pm

This is only the "soft and everyone knows anyway" stuff. If you knew what I did about world finance, you'd probably start looking for a cave to provision. The only reason I don't is that A: I already have one, and B: I've watched humans struggle/muddle through almost no matter what, including some pretty nasty events in history books - we don't all make it, but most do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye0MHKJ00hw

When even the authorities ignore the rule of law, well, this is what you get - instead of "don't do wrong" it's "don't get caught" - I've watched this transition over my own lifetime, and it's all downhill. IMO, our government is guilty of treason (not just the current crew, though some of them have been around almost a lifetime) - and they will get the results they've earned by it. Eisenhower was right. Now, get off my lawn.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:11 pm

Funny how no one comments. By the numbers, this is by far the most viewed thread on the board...I guess I can understand, as some of the opinions here might not be the sort that make one's government love you. Because I call fools fools, and cheaters and liars what they are (with help from others who find out more than I ever will and share me the good stuff).
As usual, funny and sort of sick at the same time. Such are the times we live in. Will we never learn?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pcWlyUu8U4

(The first comment on the thread I got this from was "got guilotines?")

It's already far too late for me to care. I've lived a very public life - and was once a "beltway bandit" for the "intelligence community" myself. They know me better than I do as is.

An interesting chart.
20131212_Fed1.jpg
Actually, this is EXTREMELY OPTIMISTIC - it uses the cooked-book numbers for CPI, among other failures. Can you see how the "fed" has "helped" us? Or Nixon going off the gold standard? He was of course, forced to - the debt spending had started a good bit earlier, and other countries already had turned in enough bucks that we had no more gold (and probably still don't - ever wonder why neither the fed or ft knox won't allow an audit, despite many years of being asked for one?)

I don't know what the real numbers are/were. I do recall gasoline at under 20c/gallon, 5 and dime stores, and I'm told that since the fed (which is privately owned by large banks who are guaranteed 6% dividends and are allowed to create money as debt taxpayers have to - but never can - pay off. Think about it, if all money is created as debt, where's the interest to pay back principal plus interest actually come from? - RUN, IT'S a TRAP!) - it now takes $1 to buy you what 2 cents bought when they were created to stop the boom/bust cycles they have historically actually made far worse. It's actually going like an oscillator building up to full power now - it's not getting better, it's getting worse. These huge ecomonic swings are how the very powerful become the .0000xxxx1%.
Since they know when they're coming - heck, long on the way up, short the way down, wash, rinse, repeat. The more amplitude the better, for those guys, as long as we don't roll out the tar, feathers, pitchforks, rope, and guillotines...but with NSA, now we can't - they know in time to nip any such last-ditch attempt at freedom long before it can reach any sort of critical mass...work it out - their actions aren't for protecting us - this much is obvious from the actions themselves. They are protecting the status quo - which is very out of balance to the point of extreme evil, not the people - we are just the workers who make the others rich.

Capitalism without bankruptcy is like Christianity without hell. But what if the sinners own the system and decide they're not going to allow themselves to fail, damn the consequences for the rest of us? That would be the Central Bank owners worldwide...No, no point naming names - some of them are FAR more dangerous than the mere NSA, and you can find them out anyway pretty easily. Hint - they go back in time before Napoleon and have lent to both sides of every war since...

Really, the only difference over my lifetime is they don't even try to hide it anymore, or that I've started paying better attention, or both (likely).
(but back in the day, a statement like Eric Holders that some are "too big to prosecute" would have impeachements and heads rolling, now it's not even in the news for more than a few minutes)
This isn't a red-blue thing at all. It's a money-power interest vs everyone else. What color clown you vote for - and you only have a choice from who they pick in the first place, matters not one tiny bit. NSA has the dirt on them all anyway...work it out. It's been awhile since we had a 3 branch government, and if you've been paying attention - it's been going on for a lot longer than most think.

BanzaiGoogle.jpg
Thanks William Banzai7, what I need is a drink.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:04 pm

Just wow. Bruce Schneier is the man in security and cypto - been following this cat for a buncha years already, he's the real deal.
https://www.schneier.com/

He's been dragged into the NSA/Greenwald story and has a lot of interesting things to say here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Sc6pUR1mA

Yes, it's long. Bruce is being careful to avoid gitmo and stuff. But he's the real authority on all this, or at least, the only one who is saying anything.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:55 pm

Well, both funny and sad today. This is the funniest comment I've read on the 'net in awhile. What it was in response to (the story and other comments) was sad, though.

Coverup!

The autopsy is a coverup for the real conspiracy!

They do not want it revealed that one of the NWO black copter drones piloted by a repiloid Illuminati crashed into him while taking a break from it's chemtrail and mind control transmissions, resulting in a nuclear explosion that took out several surrounding buildings. Sheeple are being brainwashed into believing the buildings are still there because Blue Beam projections are being transmitted from the multidimensional wormhole created by Comet ISON, which is rerally Nibiru/Planet X/dwarf star/brown star/mini blackhole.The effect is made possible by the flouride in our GMO foods.

WWIII is just around the corner, followed by the Rapture just before the Annunaki reduce the population down to a few hundred thousand and heard them into world wide FEMA camps.

It's a conspiracy I tells ya!

Sums up all too much thinking that can more easily be explained by stupidity or incompetence, perhaps enhanced by greed.

But it was in response to the sad death of a good-guy hacker (white hat cracker). From speedballs among other additives. I know all too much about this from my prior life in rock and roll, and speedballs are what killed John Belushi. I should probably not admit how I know why. The feeling of top of the world and invincibility is the most amazing thing once can experience. Let's just say that it's also the most addictive thing going - and once is more than enough - I was lucky to realize that in time.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/07 ... tal_death/

Here's one version of the original video that made him famous. He developed a walk-up hack to make ATM's spit out all their money. Yes, you can make powerful enemies that way, but...I also recognize "the mark" of a party-doper here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-dS4UFomv0

There are hundreds of versions out there - some better than others (and this one, I couldn't find the one I liked when it first aired), if you search youtube for Barnaby Jack ATM.

He died just before presenting a hack that works on almost all medical implants - from pacemakers to insulin pumps. The ostensible purpose of his cracks was to encourage better security in all these things he's shown how to get around (in some cases, it's really easy if you're a techie, which luckily, does not include most of the criminal class - though they have been known to hire techies with let's say, reduced moral imperatives).

Sad, really, A good kiwi on top, and I've developed a fondness for those guys...While I'm sure he had made some people mad, the way he died is a really easy way to do it by accident - and almost happened to me. The various intellectual razors point to just that, sadly.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Hole Lee Shite - Sum Ting Wong. China shuts down bank cash transfers for three days in the local currency, and for a week in FX, right at the end of this month, when their new year starts, and also when a middling sized "trust" is expected to default.
Of course, with zillion to one leverage, middle size can mean big consequences for someone(s). The Japanese market is tanking as I type, Sunday night here. Ours will likely follow suit, and gold it shooting up.
Forbes has the story:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonchang ... ansfers-2/

Of course, this falls on the heels of HSBC having a few issues of their own around letting people have their own money.
In truth, a bank deposit is just an unsecured loan to the bank, who might be leveraged about 20-30::1 on average, so when you pull you money out, it really hurts:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-01-2 ... op-working

Hope you guys are all nicely out of stocks and generally ready for things to hit fans. Could be a false alarm (several at once?), which is the hope of us all, of course. But what if it's not? Leverage is at all time highs, or was just before last week's US "crash". That means a little drop, like last week might be costing some huge bets in those icky margin calls, and they have to sell, amplifying the whole deal.

I might move a little of my stake out of FRN's in the bank(s) and into safer things I can put under my mattress, just in case...I wasn't trading anyway. Something just didn't feel right.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:40 pm

I've not been posting on this thread for awhile. Part of the reason is, well, I'm not in the markets just now. About the best explanation of why is quoted here:
Submitted by Lance Roberts of STA Wealth Management,

Imagine that you are speeding down one of those long and lonesome stretches of highway that seems to fall off the edge of the horizon. As the painted white lines become a blur, you notice a sign that says "Warning." You look ahead for what seems to be miles of endless highway, but see nothing. You assume the sign must be old therefore you disregard it, slipping back into complacency.

A few miles down the road you see another sign that reads "Warning: Danger Ahead." Yet, you see nothing in distance. Again, a few miles later you see another sign that reads "No, Really, There IS Danger Ahead." Still, it is clear for miles ahead as the road disappears over the next hill.

You ponder whether you should slow down a bit just in case. However, you know that if you do it will make you late for your appointment. The road remains completely clear ahead, and there are no imminent sings of danger. So, you press ahead. As you crest the next hill there is a large pothole directly in your path. Given your current speed there is simply nothing that can be done to change the following course of events. With your car now totalled, you tell yourself that there was simply "no way to have seen that coming."

It is interesting that, as humans, we fail to pay attention to the warnings signs as long as we see no immediate danger. Yet, when the inevitable occurs, we refuse to accept responsibility for the consequences.

Also, there seemed to be no replies. So, as far as this board is concerned, other than some humor, this thread seems to be "in the weeds".

Pretty obscure if you don't know some history but WB7 does some great work.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8210/822 ... c554_h.jpg
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:35 pm

And this is the reason I'm in cash just now, look at this leverage. Yes, you can borrow 10x (or more, depending) what your collateral is worth, boosting your yield by a factor of 10 on the same stake. But also your losses. This means the slightest drop makes you sell very quickly - and sometimes a margin call (eg, the demand you put up more collateral) means you don't have any choice. This is the classic setup for a very quick, very deep fall. I'd go short, but the question is always "when", and these guys have kept this propped up about a year longer than I thought possible already. But this chart scares the crap outa me.

Leveraged-Loans.jpg
The entire "recovery" was done with money borrowed when debt was the problem in the first place? Does anyone ever learn?
Doug Coulter

Postby solar_dave » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:17 pm

Yep mostly in cash too Doug, last year was not much of a gainer but much safer than all the exuberance going on. I did hold out for the last few years and ride the wave back up, now is time to hold 'em I think.
Dave Shiels

My TED 5000 power monitoring
http://phx-solar.no-ip.info:8081/Footprints.html
solar_dave

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:04 pm

Glad to know you're out, Dave. My bet is we get the usual exponential blowoff just before we go over the cliff. Risk/reward is just too high even for me, and I'm pretty agile and fearless.

I saw this vid in my G+ stream. Pretty much says it - and at the end, she realizes the actual truth - it's not all O's fault, he's just pwned like the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... IMnIh10po0
Doug Coulter

PreviousNext

Return to Trading Markets