The daily link

It appears some of us are interested in the business of trading, hopefully for both fun and profit.
Here's a place to talk about that. I suggest two main categories. How to trade (timeless), and what are you trading now, and why, and how it turned out. Those tend to be missing from the pro boards, so pundits can have selective memory....but that's not all that is important. Being wrong is part of the game, and how to handle it and make money anyway is crucial, for just one example.
Forum rules
The usual. Be nice, be informative, tell it like it is.

Re: The daily link

Postby Doug Coulter » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Pretty much sums up how the banksters have responded to (our collective) greed since they were unleashed by the best non-law money can buy. I found this chart striking.
piketty-saez-top10a.jpg
Financialization helps the top money makers, not the earners.

Note the timing for the last time it was this high...don't look down, Wiley E. Coyote has already gone over the cliff...

Link to the article: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-2 ... ialization
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby David McKee » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:08 am

Doug Coulter wrote:Glad to know you're out, Dave. My bet is we get the usual exponential blowoff just before we go over the cliff. Risk/reward is just too high even for me, and I'm pretty agile and fearless.

I saw this vid in my G+ stream. Pretty much says it - and at the end, she realizes the actual truth - it's not all O's fault, he's just pwned like the rest.

Interesting... But this of course begs the question... if Obama and the rest are pawns on a board, then who is moving the pieces?

I have my opinions of course.
"Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"
Having too many projects at the same time means never having to say "I'm Bored"...
David McKee

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:16 pm

As far as I can tell, about 25 entities own the world, and think they're doing all this for our own good. Kind of scary. There's a lot of low level noise of course. For example, the recent "revelations" by Michael Lewis on HFT scalping and market manipulations - interesting but...as he says, just a matter of messed up incentives in the presence of a lot of people with low moral quality and "in the club you aren't in" to quote George Carlin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Yx7RnHAcw

This has created quite the visceral shit-storm in the business, or as Mencken said, it's really hard to get someone to understand something their livelihood depends on them not understanding. Not really the main story, but interesting.
Looks like these guys are actually being set up to take all the blame for the real crooks. It's not that they aren't guilty - there's plenty of blame to go around, and a lot of it can be found in any mirror.

Grandma sells stocks that don't provide enough yield for her, each quarter, so corps, who have to at least listen a little to stockholders are unable to make long range plans that might be better for all - and it's grandma's fault at least in part.
Using their relatively small amount of money (compared to the .000000001 or howevermany zeros) percent, they buy the best laws they can to guarantee some profits no matter how inefficient they are. Look at the cel phone companies litigating instead of innovating for a recent example of how they start to feed on each other for a bigger slice of a reducing sized pie rather than try to increase the size of the pie. They used to only cross-license IP to keep the little, disruptive startups out (who only have toe one or two patents, not the thousands it takes to make a phone). Now they eat one another, a sign of it's really getting bad.

No system yet has overcome the negative aspects of amoral human nature. We started out with some pretty good ideas in our Constitution, but look what's happened to that - toilet paper at best for those in power. Sad, but history tells it all, we're not the first, it's not different this time, and no country manages to hold onto world reserve currency status for long once they start abusing the printing press, and here we all are again - for the Nth time in history. If there's anything different this time, it's that all the central banks are devaluing together, but the prisoner's dilemma will soon put an end to that - he who defects first, does the best, and this time...well, go see the facts.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:48 am

Vids of the unrest in America, with inappropriate force used. Dunno if this is the "it begins" moment or not, but this is scary stuff.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-08-1 ... ning-after
Doug Coulter

Postby APynckel » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:18 pm

Doug Coulter wrote:Vids of the unrest in America, with inappropriate force used. Dunno if this is the "it begins" moment or not, but this is scary stuff.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-08-1 ... ning-after

I've been "tin foil hatting" watching the financial markets and wondering "how are we this high with still so many unemployed..?"

When will people who have nothing, give up and start chaos in an attempt to get some wealth, when they are downtrodden enough.

Very scary stuff. Where is the "safehouse" when this house of debt finally topples?
Mechanical Engineer, Minor in Nuclear Engineering
APynckel

Postby fusordoug » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:29 pm

The safe house, or one of them, is my place - if any "zombies" even make it to the area, my neighbors, who are like-minded will pick them off on the way in, most likely - and I'll get a warning call. Yeah, it's scary. We let "them" have the best law money can buy to steal from us better, which is one reason most of the perps aren't in jail - and then are surprised when everyone is beggared and pissed off?
Along with teaching them all how "entitled" they are to buy votes with money picked from the few remaining producers pockets. Cloward-Piven refined a little.

As to why the markets have disconnected from reality - they haven't. It's called QE without admitting they're still doing a lot more than they admitted to when they did admit to it.
Anybody really think these guys are telling us the truth, that we haven't even reached 2% inflation, or that the GDP isn't actually net negative with any inflation correction, even the official stats?
How did Belgium spend an entire year's worth of GDP on UST bills a month or so ago? Where'd that money come from? Follow it and the rest, and you know the truth. ZH isn't the best or only source, only the most cynical, and have called about 1000 of the last 1 depressions (let's just call this what it is) - without food stamps etc the soup lines and riots would have been miles in size and have been happening long ago.

Happy to have taken a break from the markets in general, and having changed to mostly hard assets that are really difficult for some guy with a computer to ctrl-x, ctrl-v away from you.
Why guess when you can know? Measure!
fusordoug
Site Admin

Postby Doug Coulter » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:56 am

I thought this significant enough to be worth firing up the big computer on an almost-no-solar power day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f0mVn0HH6U

Yup.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:41 pm

Article on HP corruption/bribing in Russia. As some of the comments pointed out, that's how you do business there - there's no choice, but our government doesn't want to be left out of the cash flow...so we demand our own bribe too.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014 ... lush-fund/

Now, that's nothing especially new, but this comment from ruan1d10t nails it:

Government officials in those three countries should just wise up and follow the USA model of defeating corruption: legalize it! Then bribing simply becomes lobbying and political donations. That could be phase one. Phase two could be to use appointing power to install executives from corporations directly into government agencies that are supposed to regulate those corporations and industries. Phase three could be, for example, for their supreme courts to allow billionaires to buy elections directly and secretly, including on state and local levels. Phase four: let corporations write laws and then use the results of phase three to enact those laws. And so on. Then there would be no need for bribery in those countries, just like in the USA. Simples!

The takeaway for me - I've been paying attention - is that governments are broke everywhere, and are in a major fund-raising mode, however they can skim the dough. There's also a recent article published in Canada warning their people not to come here with cash, since cops are seizing cash w/o a warrant or a charge, and you never get it back....
Ah, here's the link to CBC's warning for Canadians
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/american-s ... -1.2760736

You need to be careful out there.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:24 pm

Truly hilarious!
http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/n5dnf ... ent-future

Got lucky, Dave Knight dropped by and had me add this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxoUUbMii7Q

Interesting how humor can also be a somewhat saddening commentary on the state of things - and yet, funny as heck.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:12 pm

Sure am glad I don't live in a city...in a small town, they can't really pull this off.

It's nice not to look too well off...be careful out there. At least in a 3rd world country, they ask for the bribes. What are we now?
Doug Coulter

PreviousNext

Return to Trading Markets