The daily link

It appears some of us are interested in the business of trading, hopefully for both fun and profit.
Here's a place to talk about that. I suggest two main categories. How to trade (timeless), and what are you trading now, and why, and how it turned out. Those tend to be missing from the pro boards, so pundits can have selective memory....but that's not all that is important. Being wrong is part of the game, and how to handle it and make money anyway is crucial, for just one example.
Forum rules
The usual. Be nice, be informative, tell it like it is.

Re: The daily link

Postby Doug Coulter » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:45 pm

Thank heavens a heck of a lot of vets are signed on to this. It makes me hate the human race a little bit less.
http://oathkeepers.org/oath/2009/03/03/ ... -not-obey/
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:01 am

Well, they're not even trying to hide the corruption in this government anymore. After Eric Holder's contempt of congress charge for refusing to release documents on the DOJ's illegal gun runing project (to mex drug cartels), we find we didn't go after the money laundering banks either. Well, a few million bucks worth of fines for laundering many billions - so I guess as long as you do crime big, and cut the government in for a little bit....

Deputy attny general admits banks are "untouchable" - no, we don't prosecute their obvious crimes. And is fired the next day, so I guess they are trying to hide how corrupt they are - a little. Welcome to the united states of Chicago-machine.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-01-2 ... -aftermath

The next time I don't follow my intuition - someone slap me. I somehow knew yesterday that shorting AAPL would have been a good trade. But I didn't do it. Rats!

Things are really getting scary - fight over "entitlements" at the food stamp office.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... oBRXDNk5eQ

This didn't violate youtube's terms of service - but someone got it pulled down anyway. So I'm leaving the link here to point that out.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:02 pm

Well, we cant have fights like the above, just can't tolerate it. So, DHS just ordered 7000 or so more select fire (that's full auto) carbines for "self defense" for their officers.
So, for them, a real full auto actual assault rifle is "a good home self defense tool" but for me a semi-auto is a "dangerous assault rifle"? The writing is on the wall.
As Obama said, the main use of these things is to kill a lot of people very quickly. What part of the DHS stated mission involves that?
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-01-2 ... lt-weapons

War matériel is a business doubling every year - even in a depression.

Here's where governments around the world buy weapons to use on their own people...and get training how to use the new stuff.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:56 pm

Oh, here's the reason we are making the police into a military. Evidently the litmus test "will you fire on American civilians" isn't going so well for Obama.
A bit longish, but...someone leaked it.

The lower ranked military guys I know would NOT shoot civilians - they'd more likely be on our side. Several of them, after tours in whatthefuckistan etc have mentioned how badly things changed for the worse here while they were away, and they are distinctly unhappy with it. Hard to see how they could reconcile their oath to the constitution with killing citizens.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:19 pm

Seen on ZH today, by Laws of Physics (ancona, this sounds a lot like you, have I figured it out?)

What?!?! Are you suggesting that markets were actually supposed to be a mechanism for true price discovery in order to spur new innovation and value-added companies and not an easy mechanism for skimming/stealing the wealth of the productive few by paper-pushing fucknuts?

Isn't fascism great? Bad ideas and bad companies are simply no longer being allowed to die. Shit, they are taking over.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:39 pm

Posted by escape key on ZH today:

A new CEO was hired to replace an outgoing CEO. The outgoing CEO met with the incoming CEO for an exit interview. During the discussion, the departing CEO stated he had placed 3 very important letters in his drawer just as his predecessor had done for him. He explained that the new CEO would find opening the letters in order most useful when a serious event took place. He also stated the letters left for him had really helped him over his tenure.
Several months passed before a major event came up. The new CEO now remembered the letters and noticed they were numbered 1, 2, and 3. The former CEO had instructed they be opened in order for maximal benefit. The new CEO opened letter #1 and the paper inside had the words “blame it on your predecessor.” The new CEO did as the letter stated and amazingly he was able to avert serious problems and keep his job.
Several months passed before the next serious event took place. This one was growing in magnitude and things were starting to get ugly at the company. There were even calls for the CEO to step down. In desperation, the CEO opened the drawer and pulled out letter #2. With great fear he, opened it carefully to read the word “reorganize.” He followed the instructions and just as before he was saved. The whole company quieted down and went back to business as usual.
After about a year, a third serious event took place and it was much worse than the rest. The CEO knew how to get out of the mess because he had a third letter left to open. With a smile he reached for the letter #3 and opened it to read “write 3 letters.”
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:03 pm

One of the best I've seen in quite awhile.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-02-0 ... -sad-breed

The thing is, no one self-identifies as a sheeple, yet they are the vast majority of humans, at least the ones I've met. Maybe 1/1000 are not. And that has a lot to do with the world's current troubles.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:27 pm

Don't worry, it doesn't matter until it does.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-02-0 ... t-thin-air

This is for when all the "who could have seen it coming" talking heads come out.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:42 pm

Well, our government says it's going to print money till we get 2.5% inflation. Yeah, right. Divide the smallest number in the list below by the 4 years and you have...
Inflation.jpg
Real inflation
Inflation.jpg (33.73 KiB) Viewed 14215 times

It's not like the cost of healthcare or anything else is going down. In fact, health care is going up even faster than these.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:52 am

What a circus. Regulators squirm when an ex-regulator, who also did nothing, now a senator, asks a simple question - why has no one gone to jail for trillions of crime, when petty crimes rate time in prison?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... avB1lbtIow

I haven't added up the numbers recently, but awhile back the bank bailouts amounted to about $50-70,000 per living human in the US. That's just the ones that are obvious, not including the ones where they get money at 25 bps (.25%) and buy T bills (wink, nod) that pay 10x that, which they can then use for collateral to try and prop trade with. Now I'd guess it's well over $100k per-person - including children.

Why was it not smarter to just send us a check, and let those losers fail?
Doug Coulter

PreviousNext

Return to Trading Markets