The daily link

It appears some of us are interested in the business of trading, hopefully for both fun and profit.
Here's a place to talk about that. I suggest two main categories. How to trade (timeless), and what are you trading now, and why, and how it turned out. Those tend to be missing from the pro boards, so pundits can have selective memory....but that's not all that is important. Being wrong is part of the game, and how to handle it and make money anyway is crucial, for just one example.
Forum rules
The usual. Be nice, be informative, tell it like it is.

Re: The daily link

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Well, the last one was soberly amusing, but this one's outright funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... vl9N9GdraQ
From zerohedge:

Pulling no punches and as irreverent as we can imagine, Mr. Panos - the Greek 'Borat' - explains (with a somewhat shocking sense of reality) just what the European crisis - most specifically the Greek 'angle' - is all about. From taxes, tourists, shadow economies, war retribution, and german-union realities - after watching this clip, everything about Greece will be henceforth clear...except perhaps whether Greece has higher exports of Potassium than Kazakhstan. Enjoy.

Maybe it was just me, but darn, a sense of humor will take you far - might even be a requirement these days.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:45 pm

Posting this here so I can link from elsewhere.
Oilmax.png
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:25 pm

http://www.ffiec.gov/bsa_aml_infobase/p ... LM_015.htm

Finally found a link to this really fun interview with Bob Lutz (Chevy Volt) and Elon Musk (Tesla motors).
Elon is one of very few people I'd like to work for myself. He pretty much handled Bob's "there is no issue with oil and global warming" about as nicely, correctly, and diplomatically as I've ever seen it done.
http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/11984
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:14 am

You can take prepping too far, you know. Here's a guy who kinda built himself up a bit too much.
http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-ems/art ... m-Pa-home/
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh6f5Go0

The production quality is actually pretty good. Hmmm, is this why government does hollywood's bidding?

Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:59 pm

Pretty good basic numeracy lecture with real numbers on just how deep we are in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRNgIvj- ... r_embedded

Doug Coulter

Postby chrismb » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:35 am

$ v £

arrgghh... I don't get it! I bought up a few $k dollars a few months ago (I have a dollar card I can transfer sterling-converted money into) to pay for patent fees and tried to even it out by buying up dollars piecemeal over time, to avoid sudden hikes and drops. It was ~1.52 to 1.55 ish then.

Figured I should also buy extra dollars for later patent payments too, and bought up $800 the other day as it was sitting $1.6/£, which was the point at which I said to myself I would buy some 'just-in-case' dollars as I couldn't see it going higher.

But it keeps going up! I juuust don't get it. Can anyone explain why the heck anyone is interested in the £ over the $?? What has UK got to offer the world's finances?!

It has crept up over $1.615 as I sit watching it. Should I buy more now, or is £ going to keep going up over $? Makes no sense to me at all! Not just a dollar thing either, £ has gone up on the euro too.
chrismb

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:51 am

Remember, the markets discount the putative future, and the world view of most is that everything on your side of the pond is more or less toast.
However, recently the issue has been repatriation of Euros due to liquidity issues (if you can believe the analysts), which is temporarily boosting the currencies in your proximity.

For the moment, the dollar is seen as safe haven -so it goes up whenever there's a scare (vs other currencies, not so much real things). It's been so ridiculous our bonds are going for stupid-low (negative real) interest rates, helped along of course by us monetizing our own debt via printing. I don't expect that to go on forever, though, as we are losing "petrodollar" status slowly but surely - some think the wars and saber rattling in the middle east are all about that more than anything else - could it be a coincidence that every country that mentions wanting to go off the dollar as the world's reserve currency sees bombs falling shortly thereafter?

At any rate, the way the system works worldwide, there is NO, and will never be, a safe, mid term (much less long term) one way bet. This is the old supply and demand thing along with price discovery. If everyone jumps on the same trade it must eventually fail, as all prospective buyers are "all in" and the first seller topples the house of cards. These days, the game goes only to the nimble. For example, I just closed a very green short trade on AAPL - just before earnings. Had I reversed course completely (gone long instead) yesterday, there'd have been another almost 10% in one day! You'd have to look at the charts I see all day every day, but things going "one way" more than a few days at a time aren't really common anymore.

http://www.zerohedge.com/search/apaches ... patriation

I myself have been playing the swings on EUO, a synthetic instrument that tracks dollar/euro, but you're in and out again in a couple days tops.

What it comes down to is you have to disagree with the markets, and be right - to make much money. I just did shorting "the stock that only goes up and defines the entire consumer market".
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu May 10, 2012 5:50 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzwl5dkHoIk

In honor of JPM's massive fail and emergency announcement thereof. Don't worry, the bank won't take those losses (billions) - we taxpayers will.
Doug Coulter

Postby Jerry » Mon May 14, 2012 1:11 am

The annotated version of that is pretty interesting:

Jerry

PreviousNext

Return to Trading Markets