Volt 2+ year stats

Alternative energy sources
Forum rules
The usual. As I have two large solar PV systems here, and my lab assistant just put one in, and others are interested in things like this, here's where that stuff goes. This is mostly for things that work now, not "gee someday a fusor will do this" -- we know that, but it's not someday yet.
The hope is to save anyone embarking on this sort of thing a lot of wasted time and money, as at least I have been off the grid since 1980 and have had a lot of practice (and made mistakes you won't have to).

Re: Volt 2+ year stats

Postby solar_dave » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:04 pm

Hey Doug,

Been a while since I checked on your progress with the Volt. We still have both of ours now for over 5 years. Cheapest car to run I ever own.
Dave Shiels

My TED 5000 power monitoring
http://phx-solar.no-ip.info:8081/Footprints.html
solar_dave

Re: Volt 2+ year stats

Postby Doug Coulter » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:53 pm

Hi Dave, yeah, long time.
Still have my Volt, "never gonna turn you loose". Because of other events, I've had to drive it some when I would have taken the truck (truck was down) on medium trips, and my lifetime mileage is now merely 160 mpg, though I'm still at 244 for the last two years. (I did break the engine in right off so as to change the oil and get rid of the assembly lube, that's why the low lifetime which creeps up real gradually).
On long enough trips to keep the engine going, it still gets 40 mpg or so, and I still touch 50 miles on batteries now and then. But when you only need it for 5 miles, it's more like 20 mpg.
It's just a great car and fun to drive. I did turn off onstar (~$300/yr) in favor of a $99 (forever) garmin, and never use the phone either. I like privacy when I'm out and don't order pizza much.
My friend Alex bought one based on my experience, and loves his too (lives in Fla but visits up here now and then).

Haven't had a single fix or update applied. One they want prevents it from running in park (I guess some drunk forgot to turn one off in his garage or something). Well, in my case, that "bug" is a feature in case I need to back up my house power, so nope. It's never been in for service other than the one oil change. I might buy tires someday...I've never actually needed it for backing up my house, just like my handguns have never shot anybody. Still better to be ready than not.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Previous

Return to Alt energy