Shooting range upgrades

Alternative energy sources
Forum rules
The usual. As I have two large solar PV systems here, and my lab assistant just put one in, and others are interested in things like this, here's where that stuff goes. This is mostly for things that work now, not "gee someday a fusor will do this" -- we know that, but it's not someday yet.
The hope is to save anyone embarking on this sort of thing a lot of wasted time and money, as at least I have been off the grid since 1980 and have had a lot of practice (and made mistakes you won't have to).

Shooting range upgrades

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:01 pm

I've been working on upgrading my test shooting range for handguns and rifles. We'd been using a "tent" made of conduit and tarps, but it doesn't survive wind, rain, snow very well, and it was becoming a hassle.
So....We built a shed over the bench over the last few days, and upgraded the brass catcher for the pistol part of the range.
BenchRoof.jpg
Shade is good!

And finally, all done.
AllDone.jpg
Done!

We use a sloped, hung tarp to catch pistol brass for reloading (and not slinging it with the mower either). I've tried a buncha different ways, and one of those tools used to pick up nuts in orchards works well if you've scalp cut the grass, but being lazy and all...this works quite well and is low maintenance.
PistolRange.jpg
Pistol brass catcher and one of the backstops - we get all the lead back and recast the bullets here.

And finally, a picture from the bench itself in the shade (whew, putting that tin up there in full sun was a job...Still seeing some spots, and I bet my face is sunburned.
RifleTargFmBench.jpg
Rifle view

The stack of pallets you can see out there are what we staple targets to, after setting one up vertical. Good thing we get them free - they wind up getting pretty perforated. Believe it or not, there's a groundhog living in the rosebush just behind the backstop up there - I guess he just ducks when we shoot.

Many thanks to friend Mark who came and did most of the heavy lifting for this project. Now we can shoot in comfort! We've even got the bench carpet covered and padded seating now!
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: Shooting range upgrades

Postby Doug Coulter » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:06 pm

Of course, nothing works (or fails) till you test it. As it happens, I'm accurizing a rifle (Howa, in Ruger .204 cal) for a friend, and I never seem to get enough practice with my CZ-97b so....

The CZ targets weren't too impressive, I obviously needed the practice. On the other hand had it been a rabbit at that range, every shot would have hit it (1/3 scale idpa targets, all pretty much in the middle). It's just that I prefer one hole targets, like this one I shot with the Howa.
Howa3.jpg
Red bull is 1" diameter, 3 shots

Actually, I can't blame the gun at this point for not really putting them all through a tiny round hole. It has a middling crappy "imported" scope that only goes to 10x, and at 100 yds, I really want about twice that or more to show my my own shake better...getting old does that to you. But I think I'm probably done with this gun re any improvements unless he wants to buy a better scope for it - I'm vision limited with it now I think.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Alt energy