Moar panels

Alternative energy sources
Forum rules
The usual. As I have two large solar PV systems here, and my lab assistant just put one in, and others are interested in things like this, here's where that stuff goes. This is mostly for things that work now, not "gee someday a fusor will do this" -- we know that, but it's not someday yet.
The hope is to save anyone embarking on this sort of thing a lot of wasted time and money, as at least I have been off the grid since 1980 and have had a lot of practice (and made mistakes you won't have to).

Moar panels

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:40 pm

Doing some roof repair on the old trailer I now live in. No better time to replace what are nearly the oldest solar panels I own...so...
20180316-1358-power-5.jpg
6 new 270w panels, astroenergy
20180316-1358-power-6.jpg
A little closer

I had originally planned to put these on two racks of 3, and wire them that way for ~ 90v to the controller, this in part because these are pretty far from the shop where that lives.
However, I may go to 3 racks of two and wired that way, likely unless I change my thinking.

This is "the spot" that gets by far the best sun in winter - when that matters most. The shop is close to the road and there are some trees I can't cut there. No big deal in summer, but...
The thing is, even the trailer would sometimes have just one rack in full sun at some hours, and going down to roof level...there are snow and other issues down there, and sticking up 10 feet is borderline dodgy too. Now, I could wire them in a number of ways, and the controller doesn't care about volts or amps particularly, but if a particular set of 3 panels has to be in sun all at once, well, that's going to be less likely than some pair in most of the permutations.

Then there's ~ a 50' run of #4 wire to consider, and the losses in that. Of course by the time those matter...well, as frugal as I can be with consumption...it's maybe not so important.
At any rate...I made some to-scale cutouts of 2x6x8' lumber and pieced it together "on paper" to see how that looks. The bottom piece is actually the 10' wide roof, and the mount points just under 10' to hit the wall supports...we'll see.

The roof work is because the old tin is beginning to rust, a tree fell on my kitchen and broke some rafters, and a lot of this has idiot-level insulation (someone gave me this building as worthless, which isn't true anymore, but I haven't fixed up *everything* yet. So I bought real high grade metal and some rafter wood, sheathing, tar paper and so on...let's get 'er done before I get old.
20180316-1414-power-8.jpg
Shows panels sideways just to see spacing off roof.

This will replace 3-400w of really old stuff with 1500w worth, more or less. I may move the old ones over to another building on campus, along with the batteries I'm replacing (even really good ones get weak in 25 years...).
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Alt energy