A new basic physics book

Info on what books or literature are good, and how to find them.
Forum rules
This is for info on what books or literature are good, and where to find them. Personally, links to expensive papers where the abstract promises the world, but the paper doesn't deliver (the norm) are deprecated...We want to know about the good stuff here, rather than pay taxes once for the research, then enrich a greedy publisher once again who didn't really contribute value and has already made money on the journal the article appeared in. There are exceptions, but they are few indeed.

A new basic physics book

Postby Doug Coulter » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:46 pm

Not so basic. This is Haliday on steroids. Though they say "an introductory approach" the very first math in this math-laden tome assumes you've fully internalized Schrödinger and things like Hamiltonians. I might need the one before this to gain better traction! However, everything the old books lack, this has -- very up to date. I don't know if I'd reccomend this to most of us here, but it's a good book for the pictures even if the articles are a little dense and mostly math; no practical examples worked out to real numbers at all, which I think is a big lack for those trying to see if they "get it".
NewBook.jpg
Book cover

Some of the pictures *are* enticing though, here's one of D in some of the possible wave functions, that lends some slight credence to some of the things I seem to be observing. In this case, I would wish for more detail, not less (but all the detail is probably in one of the gobbledegook equations where it's assumed you know what is assigned to all the subscripted greeks).

Dwave.gif

Hated giving those guys over $60 for this, but it could have been worth it. Need one more oriented to intra nuclear oscillations, spins, and reactions.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Books