Query

Tales of woe that teach. We learn best through failure sometimes
Forum rules
This is for tales of woe that teach. We often learn quickest through failure that shows us how our thinking was off, and of course, sometimes it's funny at least in hindsight. Share your "Doh!" moments here.

Query

Postby Starfire » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:33 am

Doug - it is a little tedious having to look in each subect to find the lastest comment - can the lastest posting comment be identified a bit more easly? - the forum only identifys the group where a latest date is shown and each topic has to be searched to find the last comment.
Starfire

Re: Query

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:43 am

Do you see the line just above the forums that has on it:
* View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics
* Mark forums read

If not, something might be broken. Those are links to what they say they are, and are what I use myself mostly.

Yes, I don't like that last post on any subforum shows up in the parent -- it hides things, not good, really. But I don't know what can be done about that one. It has been discussed over and over on the board of the guys who wrote this software and they seem not to understand the whole idea of a tree view hierarchy... So I doubt an upgrade is coming soon, they don't "get" the problem.

This is what I see when logged in. You most likely have to have cookies enabled for the feature to work.

Screenshot-3.png
Screenshot
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby chrismb » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:10 pm

John, I had a problem with that to start as well. The 'view active topics' on the board index page didn't seem to work out. But it does for me now.....
chrismb

Postby Starfire » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:59 am

Thanks Doug & Chris - maybe I'm getting to long in the tooth - or need my specs changed :D
Starfire

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:44 pm

It's the dumb default layout, which I may try and change (it's not that easy). Don't feel bad, it took me about two weeks to find it myself!
Now I can't live without those links -- they should be more prominent, I agree.
Right now I'm real busy with a couple of other things (including letting smoke out of some parts) but soon I'll see about fixing this and the logo as Chris suggested. It's all on my list, but it's a long list of priorities that change all the time.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby William A Washburn » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:18 am

Try "Iron Speed Designer" (code generator) when you get a chance. I use it all the time now and it fits well with several databases including my favorite (MS SQL) and it is quick.
William A Washburn

Postby Doug Coulter » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:55 am

That's not an option for me. For one, I don't speak PHP (which is what this board was written in) and my ISP will drop support if I do anything other than tweak settings. As their support is actually really good (best I've encountered, actually) - I really don't want that. I do quite a different type of programming (systems, opsys, drivers), and just about no web stuff. I really can't take on another major project just now -- already have too many going on.
Doug Coulter

Return to It Almost Worked!