Rocker-cable precision scroll-saw...

Pictures du jour here.
Forum rules
This is a good place to put pix of your lab or shop intended to produce the drool reaction. If topics get lengthy here, we may want to move most of the discussion to where it fits in the org scheme here (such as it is). Good place for announcements of things you just got working and so on. Respecting readers who may not have large bandwidth, try and keep the pictures to about one megapixel -- we have the BW and the storage here, no problems, but some readers may not.

Rocker-cable precision scroll-saw...

Postby David McKee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:30 pm

I promised elsewhere I would post about the precision scroll saw I was building and finally got the pics up on my own website (http://www.celticcrosseng.com/building- ... or-jigsaw/) - so here are a few pics for anyone interested in such a device.

Why would you want to build a precision scroll saw when you can buy a "pretty good" one at Harbor Freight for 70 bucks? Same reason as the whole climbing a mountain thing, I guess... for me anyway, it was because a band style oscillating precision scroll saw with a 22 inch throat is cost prohibitive. And its not that hard or expensive to make.

This will allow me to cut out some very nice foam patterns for my lost foam forging projects as well as weirdly shaped PC boards, and whatever else needs high degree curve cuts...

If you want more theory on scroll saw (or Jig-saws as I used to call them when I was a kid) then read the stuff at the link, I go over each different kind. but here is a simple design sketch of mine:
Everything is held together with threaded rod, and even the rocker is threaded rod so that the attachment of the cables will be fully "tunable" and the rocker can be made as vibration free as possible.

And my build so far:

Updates soon!
"Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"
Having too many projects at the same time means never having to say "I'm Bored"...
David McKee

Re: Rocker-cable precision scroll-saw...

Postby Jerry » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:48 pm

You can often find 24" delta scroll saws around for $50 to $100 with a stand around here. I picked one up a few years ago. Very well made and some have a reeves drive for variable speed.
Jerry

Re: Rocker-cable precision scroll-saw...

Postby David McKee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:06 pm

Yes, but oscillating band style? Probably not. And anyway this was more or less to just do it and have a saw that I could modify in a variety of ways. The Reeves drive sounds interesting and would be worth it for that - but I plan on using a Triac-Diac circuit and foot pedal for speed control. I also have an old DC motor that reverses and has speed control from an old Stren fishing lure winder, but that probably does not have the power I need.
"Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"
Having too many projects at the same time means never having to say "I'm Bored"...
David McKee

Return to Eye Candy