Good bad driving

Pictures du jour here.
Forum rules
This is a good place to put pix of your lab or shop intended to produce the drool reaction. If topics get lengthy here, we may want to move most of the discussion to where it fits in the org scheme here (such as it is). Good place for announcements of things you just got working and so on. Respecting readers who may not have large bandwidth, try and keep the pictures to about one megapixel -- we have the BW and the storage here, no problems, but some readers may not.

Good bad driving

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:16 pm

I think you'll figure out what I meant in the title. And it's only a Ford (or has a few ford parts in it still, perhaps).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDN2bCIyus

I wouldn't mind doing that - just once.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: Good bad driving

Postby Starfire » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:01 pm

A weakness of mind perhaps? :)
Starfire

Re: Good bad driving

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:10 pm

Well, there are at least a couple around that do like flinging cars about like toys, myself being one - John Futter's boy (and John himself for all I know) and perhaps Chris among them. Yeah, it's kinda weak minded when you can't reserve an entire city for it - I have to deal with deer, drunks on the wrong side of the road and so on, so I have to be a bit more conservative when I do it, and maintain at least a little safety margin.
The 2010 Camaro SS (over 500hp when I was done with it) was at least as fast as the Ford shown above - over 204 mph at top speed with half a grand or more left on the tach and still pulling strong - but it didn't fly very well - the suspension was too fixated on keeping the tires on the road, and so it always "launched" a little off - and once airbourne, there's not a lot you can do about it. Nevertheless, I did have some fun at way over 100 mph on twisty moutain roads.

And also with the Volt, even though you wouldn't think of it as a performance car, in any situation where handling beats HP/weight ratio, it's a real winner, as we see here, with me piling into a 15 mph-rated hairpin at well over 55, and coming out well over 60 - I hammered the throttle going into the turn as I wasn't going fast enough to get it loose. Look how flat it slid with the "nanny" computer doing the fancy part - All I did was point it where I wanted it to go, and didn't even touch the yellow lines - just drifted perfectly flat about 4-5". You can't do the classic "drift" moves in the Volt as it doesn't have a user-controllable handbrake - just a button on-off, for that. but "drifting" isn't the fastest way around the track, or you'd see all the real pros doing it all the time - it's just fun, that's all.
A little adrenaline is good for ya if your heart can take it. In fact, a lotta people like it - this has been more popular as a video on my youtube channel than any of the science stuff...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk6106_9IrE

In fact, it even got GM's attention. They had no idea they were making a sports car when they did the Volt. They flew a guy down here to see what I've been able to wring out of it. In fact, I still have the occaisional bit of fun taking on "ricky rice-racer" who thinks Tokyo Drift is an example of skilled racing. And I beat them so badly it's embarassing, stopping several times in a 9 mile course to let them close up - then leave them in the dust again, over and over.
C'mon, you have to admit that it's fun if you can do it at reasonably low risk.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Eye Candy