Explosive wood splitting

Pictures du jour here.
Forum rules
This is a good place to put pix of your lab or shop intended to produce the drool reaction. If topics get lengthy here, we may want to move most of the discussion to where it fits in the org scheme here (such as it is). Good place for announcements of things you just got working and so on. Respecting readers who may not have large bandwidth, try and keep the pictures to about one megapixel -- we have the BW and the storage here, no problems, but some readers may not.

Explosive wood splitting

Postby Doug Coulter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:13 pm

A couple of years ago, a huge storm knocked a huge oak tree across the acess road to a few of my neighbors, and I got the call to come clear the road so they could get out. Well, this was one huge tree - hundreds of years old, and my saws could only handle the thinner parts of it (which amounted to almost a year's worth of "free" firewood for me (not quite free, I had to cut and split it, but not bad). Well, there was this piece left over. Paul, my good friend and neighbor (those tend to be synonyms around here) moved it with his loader to a better place, and we planned to tackle it there. Scheduling issues seemed to keep us from getting it done quick, but the recent visit by journalists from Vice magazine provided the excuse to go ahead and get 'er done. Since the first foot or so of this log was hollow, we decided the best way to get it down to size was with a little medium-high explosive, in this case a variant of Tannerite (legal here), which is ammonium nitrate + zirconium hydride. It's about like regular blasting dynamite in det velocity, but a lot "numb-er" in that a regular blasting cap won't set it off - you need something like a very fast bullet with a couple thousand foot-pounds of energy to detonate this stuff - it's pretty safe if you're far enough away - even a high power pistol won't do - you need the real thing.

As luck (and that's largely what it was) would have it, I chose the exact right amount and placement to do the job perfectly, and here's the video result:
http://youtu.be/v0qXQCVLGKQ

Xavier and Gaspard from Vice.com were also filming with super camera-envy cameras, and when I get their footage back, I'll post it here. They spent the entire weekend here getting all the thrills I could produce - from very high Gee and speed rides in John's 1200hp/1100lb "T bucket" to things like this, the concealed weapon carry course, the fusor, the lab, the ... you name it. We had a lot of fun. They'll be taking 3 days of continuous video and trimming it down to 12 or so minutes for their online magazine, due to come out in about a month and a half (this article anyway). They promised me all the footage, so I can select some to post here as well. Nice guys, I think we impressed them, I know they had a blast, and we should see some fairly well balanced reporting, unlike what you'd imagine we'd get from the mainstream media on such things. More when there is more...
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: Explosive wood splitting

Postby johnf » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:49 am

Doug
I hope you are not talking about that twig at the foot of that guy in the start of the video

sorry not downloading that here @ home--ill see it at work tomorrow
johnf

Postby johnf » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:56 pm

Okay
I have now viewed the post
very good
not so good for the two snakes though
Thought you were going to do it the good old way
like here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHn3wETHNzs
johnf

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:56 am

I'd never seen or heard of that black powder device. Goex isn't cheap or easy to get here these days...but real interesting, and I currently have an application. A 300 year or so old oak tree fell over (healthy) by the river (roots washed out in recent floods) and my guy who cuts firewood can't handle the larger pieces - too small a saw blade to reach through 4' thick wood. A little help on the ends so he can cut them to length might be just the ticket. A shame to let that go completely to waste, even though it means I'll be burning wood this winter that many can't afford to make furniture/flooring out of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYQbMMCe0tU
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Eye Candy