Big steel Vacuum chamber

Pictures du jour here.
Forum rules
This is a good place to put pix of your lab or shop intended to produce the drool reaction. If topics get lengthy here, we may want to move most of the discussion to where it fits in the org scheme here (such as it is). Good place for announcements of things you just got working and so on. Respecting readers who may not have large bandwidth, try and keep the pictures to about one megapixel -- we have the BW and the storage here, no problems, but some readers may not.

Big steel Vacuum chamber

Postby johnf » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Just a picture of the purple chamber with two 750L/s diff stacks and V170 Turbo on the chamber.
chamber is made from 30" steel pipe with steel ends one removable with big O-ring
after baking for a week at 90 degrees Celsius the vacuum is now down to 2 x 10^-6 torr
the Vacuum will get better with time as the interior steel surface lets go its water and other gunk

DSCN9819.jpg
johnf

Re: Big steel Vacuum chamber

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:22 am

I've used one (plain) steel tank. It worked well enough for what I wanted, but took gods own time to get down there every time it had been at STP for a bit. Turns out really clean iron picks up an invisible layer of rust almost instantly (you can actually smell it happening if you're observant - some gets into the air), and this acts like a virtual leak as it decomposes under vacuum. Copper plating it really helped with that one - I did it in situ with some solution, a copper pipe for the anode, and rotated the tank since I didn't have enough plating solution to fill it more than a couple inches deep. Other types of plating might be better, I just happened to have some gallons of alkaline copper plate (the normal, acid kind, won't go directly on steel, you need nickel first, which might have been better anyway, all by itself).
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: Big steel Vacuum chamber

Postby Starfire » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:58 pm

You will need a space suit for the next one Doug. :)
Starfire

Return to Eye Candy