1 trillion frames per second.

Pictures du jour here.
Forum rules
This is a good place to put pix of your lab or shop intended to produce the drool reaction. If topics get lengthy here, we may want to move most of the discussion to where it fits in the org scheme here (such as it is). Good place for announcements of things you just got working and so on. Respecting readers who may not have large bandwidth, try and keep the pictures to about one megapixel -- we have the BW and the storage here, no problems, but some readers may not.

1 trillion frames per second.

Postby chrismb » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:31 pm

The lightning video Doug linked to was impressive.

But how about capturing the propagation of light itself at 1 trillion frames per second:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fSqFWcb4rE
chrismb

Re: 1 trillion frames per second.

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:48 pm

I actually found the other link on the Slashdot thread about this camera. As they point out, they can't really record at a trillion frames a second with this - that's just the shutter speed. It takes pictures a little later each time for repeated stimuli - just like a digital scope does above a certain sample rate. So it couldn't actually do the lightning which was "only" about 10k frames/second, but they were all consecutive.

Else, they'd be taking movies of stuff like chemical reactions, protein folding - but for the trillion/sec camera, you need something that repeats identically over and over to get the effective rate.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Eye Candy