A big Diff pump

Pictures du jour here.
Forum rules
This is a good place to put pix of your lab or shop intended to produce the drool reaction. If topics get lengthy here, we may want to move most of the discussion to where it fits in the org scheme here (such as it is). Good place for announcements of things you just got working and so on. Respecting readers who may not have large bandwidth, try and keep the pictures to about one megapixel -- we have the BW and the storage here, no problems, but some readers may not.

A big Diff pump

Postby johnf » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:33 am

I was up the other end of the country today helping out at a PVD facility

heres a pic of the 100,000litre /sec diff pump not quite as high as me but considerably fatter
fluid charge = 4.1 litres of santovac heater 8kW
immediately below my arm is the roots blower that aids the monsterous two stage backing pump

the large lines around the Diff pump are the roughing/ backing lines and valves
big_ass _diffpump.jpg
johnf

Re: A big Diff pump

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:47 am

Wow, that's a lotta Santovac -- a real good chunk of change to fill that guy (I'd guess they get a good discount over Lesker's pricing). We are seeing a lot of diff pumps in that size range around here, going cheap as surplus, but what in heck would one do with one as a "home lab"? So far, I've not been able to get interested in buying any, though they are going for about the price of the scrap metal, I've just not figured out a use for one. I'm even having trouble figureing out what they were used for locally. We don't have any big semiconductor fab, no CD's are made here that I know of, no big deposition outfits I'm aware of. We do have some steel business, so maybe someone was doing heats under vacuum.

I've seen some of that other stuff, huge roughing pumps, used in HVAC gear for a large church up in the DC area I happened to be at. Another tech-head heard the thing running and dragged me over there to look at it, and yep, big roots pumps -- he'd recognized the sound.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Joe Jarski » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:41 pm

Doug, one of those diff pumps might work for removing the air from the lab so you don't have as much scattering going on. :D
Joe Jarski

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:01 pm

Ok, out comes the caulking gun! :D
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby johnf » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:31 pm

Ok guys the pic was taken on a blackberry
note the sputter ion sources over to the right of the pic (3 visible 16 total around chamber) each 8kW when running using Ti cathodes, process gasses 4 main ones N2 and acetylene with argon and Co2 standard conditions when running 2000 sccm gas flow 2 e-6 millibar in chamber 2microns /hr approx TiN or TiNC.
chamber around 6 feet diameter around 8 feet tall
johnf

Postby Doug Coulter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:13 pm

Makes me wonder if any of my tools were in that chamber once. I've almost given up using TiN -- bonds well to all too many things I try to cut. But TiCN, that's the stuff when plain old high speed steel doesn't get it and carbide leaves too rough a finish.

I got a cool batch of defective "TiN" drills. Look like Christmas ornaments, all the reds, greens, blues, no yellow. I wondered about that (cheapo Chinese from northern hydraulics on a deep sale), but they are good cobalt steel underneath anyway, and for $30 per 115 bit set, not so bad. Only after I started using Ti grids and doing some sputtering pumpdowns in air/argon did I understand what they'd done wrong -- I have a tank that looks like that inside now (BillF's fusor). I'd heard (but never tried) they used ammonia for TiN, but then...hearsay.
Doug Coulter

Return to Eye Candy