Lab upgrade

Pictures du jour here.
Forum rules
This is a good place to put pix of your lab or shop intended to produce the drool reaction. If topics get lengthy here, we may want to move most of the discussion to where it fits in the org scheme here (such as it is). Good place for announcements of things you just got working and so on. Respecting readers who may not have large bandwidth, try and keep the pictures to about one megapixel -- we have the BW and the storage here, no problems, but some readers may not.

Re: Lab upgrade

Postby Doug Coulter » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:08 am

1.5 ma isn't much - that's almost down where they are saying "overcomes the corona loss but provides almost no net power". If the bottom diodes can take the current, seems like you might certainly be able to get more out of it.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby johnf » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:18 am

Big day today
powered up the 125kV supply connected to the implanter

A few issues arose from sharp edges when going over 100kV but a bit of rerouting and tidying up wires at the terminal and we got to 120kV with around 0.6mA in corona losses. 0.2mA @ 100kV so we have a little work still to do on sharp edges.
Had a few mighty flashovers 300mm in length while conditioning --ye ha but all the electronics at terminal potential kept right on going

interesting to find that the polycarbonate of the parrot cage stores charge on its inside surface --got a couple of tingles off it after powering down and earthing the terminal --remember the cage has SS mesh on the outside that is earthed. I now don't touch it but the hairs on the back of my hand stand straight up when getting within a few inches.

more later
johnf

Postby Doug Coulter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:59 pm

It seems things get difficult real quick in air above 50-60kv, eh? I'm looking at that monster disc multiplier stack (theoretically good to 160kv or so) and going hmmm, myself. Sometimes I wish I didn't hate heavy leaky boxes full of oil so passionately.
And yes, not only do things pick up charge, but some even become electrets, which can get interesting. We found here when just messing around in the lab with a 125kv supply that you can pick up a hefty charge, and via the wimshurst effect, get a real crazy voltage onto the old bod - supplying extra energy to it mechanically as you move away from the HV supply. You can then get a really good zinger off the nearest grounded something that judging by the length of the spark, is a good bit higher voltage than what you'd originally picked up. Not close to fatal, but you could get hurt jumping or accidentally throwing something you were holding...
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Laurence Upjohn » Thu May 31, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi all;
The following link has both Ford Model A and Ford Model T parts including a variety of spark plugs. There are the modern glass to metal sealed variety with 1/2" NPT and a more expensive version that can be disassembled with the same thread. The link follows:
http://www.vintageford.com/

I purchased one of the modern versions that is in my current demo fusor and have had no problems so far. I have it reversed so that the ceramic connector is on the interior of the chamber and the spark gap end is on the atmosphere side with the high voltage lead attached to the center electrode. I have removed the side body electrode and considered chucking the plug in the lathe to cut the plug body back away from the center electrode for more isolation. Vintage Ford has these items in stock and they are cheap compared to new vacuum feed throughs from the vacuum houses. I have no interest in Vintage Ford other that as a source and a neat place for a nostalgic visit. More later, Larry Upjohn.
Laurence Upjohn

Postby Laurence Upjohn » Thu May 31, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi all;
here is the follow on link for the Model A style spark plugs:

http://www.vintageford.com/sect_search.cfm?Line=Model%20A&Category=Spark%20Plugs

Like I said these "feed throughs" are cheap! More later, Larry Upjohn.
Laurence Upjohn

Postby Doug Coulter » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:20 am

John, we lost this from water cooler, so I reposted it. If you want, since you're a mod, you can pull it back down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oALDWvavqN4
Doug Coulter

Postby johnf » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:05 am

Thanks Doug
thought I was feeling light headed

Will post more pics soon of what I have been up to
been waiting toooooo long for my new supply from Spellman
johnf

Postby Starfire » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:57 pm

More drool
Starfire

Postby Starfire » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:04 pm

John - what is the range of the Gauss meter?

tks
Starfire

Postby johnf » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:15 pm

John

The Gauss meter ranges from 0.01g to 45000 gauss and is made by a NZ company Group3
since then I have developed our own one that goes from a milli-gauss to more than 60,000gauss the upper figure is all our neighbors HTS110 (www.scott.co.nz/superconductors/)can do on their superconducting magnet during testing
johnf

Previous

Return to Eye Candy