Math problem...don't blame the physicists!

This is where there are basically no rules about topics, or off-topics. Discuss things here of fleeting interest.
Forum rules
Here, you can discuss anything (well, anything legal and not offensive) you want to. Use this for gassing about any half-baked theories, general getting to know one another, and other things that as someone once said, should be forgotten after awhile. This sub forum is set to auto-remove threads that haven't been posted on for a couple weeks, emptied like the office trash can. Almost anything goes here, the idea being to keep the other forums and threads more on topic but in a maximally friendly way. If anything actually worthwhile should wind up here, let me know and I will make it immune from being removed.

Math problem...don't blame the physicists!

Postby Doug Coulter » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:25 am

threesome.png
Funny, but slightly off. Credit - XKCD

There are a number of problems in math, which used to be the queen of science, no longer. There are no closed-form (non perturbative) solutions to many problems and we could sure use them.
The three body gravitational problem is just a stand-in for the more important ones, really - and even that one has issues, since if you really want to know what a simplified gravitational system (the usual example is sun, jupiter and earth) looks like in a few hundred years, you have to iterate on a very fine time grid. By the time you've got to a couple hundred years out - the math errors give you a completely wrong answer anyway, double floating point is a joke at this level. And then there's the weater problem. Or tell me if a point inside +/-1, -1/+2 is in the mandelbrot set without iterating. I dare ya.

Now, in fusors, we have a many-body problem. Call it 10^18 bodies to be conservative (it's really likely to be more). They are moving around in there from a foot/microsecond and on up. We have all of electrons, D+, D2, D2+, D-, D (at least) in there.
All different E/M ratios, and some repel as well as attract. It's so bad that when I called the fine people at SIMION and asked if they could handle it - they told me to keep my money, no way.

Hopefully, some of the math guys will be properly shamed about this and get to work on something other than how many primes live in a range or some silly group theory and solve this one. We need it!

Of course, there might not be much hope if this http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-08-2 ... g-stupider is true. It is what I seem to observe myself.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: Math proglem...don't blame the physicists!

Postby johnf » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:54 pm

I think this says it all!!
terrorist.jpg
johnf

Re: Math proglem...don't blame the physicists!

Postby Doug Coulter » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:07 pm

:D
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: Math problem...don't blame the physicists!

Postby David McKee » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:10 pm

Thank God I was born in the 60's!
"Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"
Having too many projects at the same time means never having to say "I'm Bored"...
David McKee

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:48 pm

No kidding. If this thread is getting any traction, I'm very tempted to put up that picture of the test to get out of 8th grade in 1912 that's been making the rounds on the more-cynical websites. Few PhD's would pass it...today. I'll see if anyone has a version of it that isn't 2 feet long by 2" wide, as it's hard to read on the web...
Doug Coulter

Postby Jeff Lapointe » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:04 pm

Here's a pretty good link to a fairly large version of the test.http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/century-old-8th-grade-exam-can-you-pass-a-1912-test/2012/01/04/gIQAxjC00P_blog.html

I've never used this forum software before but I'll see if I can get the image here all by itself.

A lot of sites disallow cross-site linking so if it doesn't appear above I guess I am among the more stupider people. ;)

Wow, the preview button appears to work, maybe I'm not as stupid as I thought.
Jeff Lapointe

Postby APynckel » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:37 am

All you have to do to realize this as fact is see how the "standardized testing" goalposts are continually moved to give more and more "credit" to the under performers. Graduating high school used to be an achievement, and to accomplish college was something reserved for the elite. Now anyone can get a government backed non-refundable student loan and go get a PhD in 12th century Belgian lesbian studies and then do nothing with the rest of their lives save live off the government teat. There is nothing that separates the wheat from the chaff anymore, and Idiocracy is becoming mainstream. When everyone gets a prize, no one can claim to be victorious.

"Only stupid people are breeding".
Mechanical Engineer, Minor in Nuclear Engineering
APynckel

Postby johnf » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:01 am

This is probably why
"Failure"

is now described as "delayed success"
johnf

Return to The water cooler -- disscusions about anything