Maxwell's demon

This is where there are basically no rules about topics, or off-topics. Discuss things here of fleeting interest.
Forum rules
Here, you can discuss anything (well, anything legal and not offensive) you want to. Use this for gassing about any half-baked theories, general getting to know one another, and other things that as someone once said, should be forgotten after awhile. This sub forum is set to auto-remove threads that haven't been posted on for a couple weeks, emptied like the office trash can. Almost anything goes here, the idea being to keep the other forums and threads more on topic but in a maximally friendly way. If anything actually worthwhile should wind up here, let me know and I will make it immune from being removed.

Re: Maxwell's demon

Postby Starfire » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:21 pm

I just love the thrust of the arguements in this thread.

Wonder if both could be wrong? :roll: and it could be quantum
Starfire

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:25 pm

We're getting closer to mainstream acceptance of my thinking, and closer to a diode that would make plan A workable:
http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/01/ ... -ac-to-dc/
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:40 am

Ah, here's my diode. Maybe I can learn to make these:
http://phys.org/news/2013-02-patented-f ... solar.html

Field emission diode, DC to literally daylight - they are talking the solar application, foreshadowed a long time ago in Robert Heinlein's "Douglass-Martin solar rectifiers".

FieldEmissionDiode.jpg
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:13 am

Yet more people are thinking about this, those with "credentials" are now saying I was right all along. This is not a new experience (gloat). It's been my lifelong habit to look at things differently, and question assumptions, which often enough, are either wrong, or more often - oversimplified, as the 2nd law's unstated assumptions are. While everything might be equipartitioned in say, a big mass of hot stuff - all 6 degrees of freedom used...it's not always the case, particularly when you get near the fuzzy boundary of classical vs quantum. Here, some guys have "proved" it with simulations. They went smaller than I had in mind, there's still some catching up to do - but...
http://phys.org/news/2014-01-nanoscale- ... it.html#ms

The critical pic:
nanoscaleheatenginecarnotlimit.jpg
Well?

Do use a browser with an ad blocker if you have the choice. They kinda are overboard with that stuff. These guys modeled what might happen if the "hot" side of a carnot engine wasn't thermally hot, but had a non-thermal energy distribution. Kinda like - a bullet doesn't have to be hot to carry energy, since nearly all of its energy is concentrated along one axis. Obvious in hindsight, but not so much if you're stuck in classical thinking.

It's one of my main whinges about science these days (but only one). SM may conflict with Gen relativity - we know there's an issue. But to me the real issue is that all our theories so far are post-descriptive, not predictive. We've not even solved the 3 body gravitational problem feed-forward so far, much less things like "I have a set of specs, what material might meet them from a first principles point of view" perspective.
Nope, all you can do is build a computationally expensive model, and monte-carlo your way through that. And hope to get lucky with the try you feed in.

So, yet again, academia will grab credit for something I thought of a decade ago. Good for them, I hope someone gets off their butt and just builds one. Then maybe I can claim prior art and steal their work back, since it wasn't truly their idea. Naw, I don't actually care, just think it's a funny old world.
Doug Coulter

Previous

Return to The water cooler -- disscusions about anything