Spambots

This is where there are basically no rules about topics, or off-topics. Discuss things here of fleeting interest.
Forum rules
Here, you can discuss anything (well, anything legal and not offensive) you want to. Use this for gassing about any half-baked theories, general getting to know one another, and other things that as someone once said, should be forgotten after awhile. This sub forum is set to auto-remove threads that haven't been posted on for a couple weeks, emptied like the office trash can. Almost anything goes here, the idea being to keep the other forums and threads more on topic but in a maximally friendly way. If anything actually worthwhile should wind up here, let me know and I will make it immune from being removed.

Re: Spambots

Postby Donovan Ready » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:35 am

This probably isn't spambots, but there surely are a lot of folks on the board right now.

Did you make another video or something that drew 197 guests today, Doug?
Donovan Ready

Postby Doug Coulter » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:16 pm

Somebody shared it on Facebook (again) with all my details and phone number. It's been a busy day...
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Donovan Ready » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:54 pm

Lord...
Donovan Ready

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:40 am

Yeah, a whole new group to sort through. Many, many requests to join (100's), and I'm trying at least a little bit to only get the "good guys" - so I have to do some work on each email and try and figure out if the request to join is someone we'd want here.
I don't want to fill the board with Q&A tutoring for beginners (other than the water cooler perhaps). We're really more about "writing the book" on how people who actually do stuff - do it in real life, the stuff you don't get in a textbook, but which is valuable.

I don't want to turn this into free, individual tutoring in physics for all the 13YO kids on the planet - just don't have time for answering questions you could just as easily google or wiki if you had the drive. If you don't - we don't need you anyway.
That was nearly 1000 more subscribers to the youtube channel in one day. Gheesh. Now I'll probably have to make another vid just to welcome them all, even if nothing especially exciting is going on just now - I'm mostly doing boring work on shielding the fusor so I live though the next stage of development (and there's already a thread here you don't have to join to read if you actually care about that boring stuff). I actually get whiny demands to make more vids...that's nuts if there's nothing really new to say at the time (IMO). I'd rather go for quality than quantity, here and there both.

In fact, I may send a link to this post to all the requestors just to see if they respond in some meaningful way...

Getting a bunch of haters too - people who think I called Vice rather than the other way around (which is what happened, they called me), or the FBI - nope, they showed up to check on me on their own, I didn't ask for the attention. But somehow all that gets interpreted as "self promotion" by a certain class of sour-grapes haters out there. I suppose I should just ignore them. It's not like I enjoy fame of this sort, or was looking for it, it just happened kind of organically. It's a lot of extra stuff to deal with.
I'd rather just play in the lab and write software etc.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Previous

Return to The water cooler -- disscusions about anything