'Fusioneering' mini-documentary

This is where there are basically no rules about topics, or off-topics. Discuss things here of fleeting interest.
Forum rules
Here, you can discuss anything (well, anything legal and not offensive) you want to. Use this for gassing about any half-baked theories, general getting to know one another, and other things that as someone once said, should be forgotten after awhile. This sub forum is set to auto-remove threads that haven't been posted on for a couple weeks, emptied like the office trash can. Almost anything goes here, the idea being to keep the other forums and threads more on topic but in a maximally friendly way. If anything actually worthwhile should wind up here, let me know and I will make it immune from being removed.

'Fusioneering' mini-documentary

Postby Kai_Clear » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:06 am

Hi there,

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself, I'm Kai and I'm the guy behind the camera in the documentary Jonathan Howard and I made http://vimeo.com/kaiclear/fusioneer

Well it's been 10 months since then and thanks to Doug, Bill and the rest of the coultersmithing.com gang Jonathan is up and running with the second iteration of his fusor. So here is our follow up mini-documentary 'Fusioneering' http://vimeo.com/kaiclear/fusioneering

I hope you guys enjoy it, please let me know you thoughts and if you would like to see more.

Excelsior!

Kai Clear
http://www.kaiclear.com
Kai_Clear

Re: 'Fusioneering' mini-documentary

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:13 pm

Glad we could help! Nice work guys!

I see Jon now has a lot better focus in the fusor, and a much better control over gas as well. I'm not quite as rad-averse, so at the levels I'm running, and the amount of time I run for, I'm not worried, but if we make any major improvements in output, yup, the thing is going in the local cave to be run remotely. For now, the fact that my fusor is lead-wrapped seems to be enough.

I'll miss my direct view, which we get through a couple layers of thick lead glass now. I've only seen one camera that can come close to replacing that direct, stereo vision view, and that's the one the guys at Tech got themselves, which they said was a Panasonic in HD and nothing special - their movies looked really good though. All the cameras I've tried here are not so good -- the auto exposure overexposes the poisser and blooms it out, while still not catching the darker parts of the vew, and your usual webcam just doesn't have the resolution I demand. What's the point of trying to observe a focus improvement from 1/8" to 1/16" inch if the camera blooms it to 1/4" regardless?
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to The water cooler -- disscusions about anything