Ordering of posts in the browser.

This is where there are basically no rules about topics, or off-topics. Discuss things here of fleeting interest.
Forum rules
Here, you can discuss anything (well, anything legal and not offensive) you want to. Use this for gassing about any half-baked theories, general getting to know one another, and other things that as someone once said, should be forgotten after awhile. This sub forum is set to auto-remove threads that haven't been posted on for a couple weeks, emptied like the office trash can. Almost anything goes here, the idea being to keep the other forums and threads more on topic but in a maximally friendly way. If anything actually worthwhile should wind up here, let me know and I will make it immune from being removed.

Ordering of posts in the browser.

Postby chrismb » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:53 pm

As the number of posts builds, I am concerned that the 'list settting' at the bottom don't appear to work. If I set it to >'replies'>'descending' then it does not adjust the list and leaves it as >'posts'>'ascending'.

The problem with this is that once we get onto multiple pages then I am not going to be able to figure out which posts got the latest replies.

Maybe it's just my browser - anyone else with this problem?
chrismb

Re: Ordering of posts in the browser.

Postby Doug Coulter » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:11 pm

It works here on firefox/linux. You have to hit the "go" button, then it redisplays in the new order here. I only tried that within a topic. I use the view unread posts and view active topics mostly, which are on the main home page.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby chrismb » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:42 pm

Oh, I see, it only lists by the <number> of replies.

So, once we have, say, 10 pages of posts and someone makes a reply to an entry on the 5th page, how would you notice?
chrismb

Postby chrismb » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:46 pm

Ah! Sorry - disregard last.

I will leave it up so that you can see my confusion - in each of the sections there is a list of forums, and I was thinking that the forum with the latest replies would appear at the top of the list of forums.

I am presuming that it will be different for the posts within each forum, and there we'll see threads at the top where the most recent reply is.
chrismb

Postby Doug Coulter » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:51 pm

We're all just learning what tricks this software can do, and what I can change and what I can't (the host is actually nearer your than I -- it's in UK somewhere). If you're here a lot, the last post on any forum shows up with the name on the front page -- with a little picture of a piece of paper, red, and you can click that to see that post (and the thread it's in). Sadly, any other post to a subforum wipes that out and replaces it -- which makes it look even more like "all me" than it really is, but I don't know how to change that. "View unread posts" seems to always work, and "view active topics" also -- good way to find out what's going on. I think the unread posts thing is what I use most, and that's done with some kind of browser cookie so if you don't have them enabled, maybe you don't see those text links above the forum list?
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to The water cooler -- disscusions about anything