A kind of microphone

This is where there are basically no rules about topics, or off-topics. Discuss things here of fleeting interest.
Forum rules
Here, you can discuss anything (well, anything legal and not offensive) you want to. Use this for gassing about any half-baked theories, general getting to know one another, and other things that as someone once said, should be forgotten after awhile. This sub forum is set to auto-remove threads that haven't been posted on for a couple weeks, emptied like the office trash can. Almost anything goes here, the idea being to keep the other forums and threads more on topic but in a maximally friendly way. If anything actually worthwhile should wind up here, let me know and I will make it immune from being removed.

Re: A kind of microphone

Postby Doug Coulter » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:32 pm

Sorry Rex, we old pharts who have been in the audio biz can run indefinitely and maybe not quite on the original topic, either....quite.

Those specs make it look like a good mic for many uses, and it's indeed cute - which matter to some.
The key statement to me was "good about feedback" which indicates two things (maybe). The patern's not bad - OK, and that frequency response they plot isn't super-smoothed quite as much as most are.
Those who do live PA work are real sensitive to good pattern (also for rejecting room reverb, usually) but a "smooth" curve - doesn't have to be "flat" and these aren't, no biggie, actually. In real life, even in perfect anechoic chambers, most transducers may average out fairly flat on a 1/3 or 1/2 octave smoothed curve (which is what's usually published), but in reality have 10 or even 20 db peaks or dips hidden by that smoothing - and those result in horrible live performance as PA mics, as it's the gain at that little peak and bingo - feedback, even when the rest of the range can barely be heard.

This is in fact the reason I told the story about measuring impulse response, as it's a fast way to show that up along with an FFT.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: A kind of microphone

Postby Rex Allers » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:30 pm

Oh, I have no problem with the discussion expanding. I found it interesting.

I just thought I would add a little more that I found about the capsules in their data sheets. The data sheets weren't an obvious click on their web pages.
Rex Allers

Previous

Return to The water cooler -- disscusions about anything