Life, The Universe, and Everything

This is where there are basically no rules about topics, or off-topics. Discuss things here of fleeting interest.
Forum rules
Here, you can discuss anything (well, anything legal and not offensive) you want to. Use this for gassing about any half-baked theories, general getting to know one another, and other things that as someone once said, should be forgotten after awhile. This sub forum is set to auto-remove threads that haven't been posted on for a couple weeks, emptied like the office trash can. Almost anything goes here, the idea being to keep the other forums and threads more on topic but in a maximally friendly way. If anything actually worthwhile should wind up here, let me know and I will make it immune from being removed.

Re: Life, The Universe, and Everything

Postby Bob Reite » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:24 pm

I've been posting the progress to fusor.net, but that site has been having real issues, it's "down" again. I will now mirror my progress over here.

Summary to date:

I could not get it to self oscillate. So now I'm trying to drive the ion grid with RF, as well as a DC bias. No luck, either I don't have enough RF or the magic was not happening in the range of 455 KHz to 5 Mhz, but was actually a parasitic oscillation that could have been anywhere from 20 MHz to VHF.

Some pics of the current setup.

RF_amp2.jpg

RF_amp.jpg
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Bob Reite

Postby johnf » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:31 pm

Keep up the good work Bob
good to see you post here
johnf

Postby Bill Fain » Fri May 06, 2022 10:26 am

Hi All, It's been one year today since Doug left us. It has been a really long year without Doug. Dave Knight and I were going to Doug's the day he died to shoot guns. Dave found him and it was rough for both of us that day. He was an extraordinary person with many varied capabilities. Like many of us on this board and Fusor.net, he had tremendous curiosity that he almost satisfied daily with his experiments and projects. He, again, like many of us, loved high energy stuff. Be it drag cars, high power guns, or explosives. I miss my trips to Floyd where we would get into something on most all the trips, whether it be running or working on the fusor, shooting guns, or blowing up s%&t. I could pen a reasonably interesting manuscript on the things we got into, if I were actually a writer. Doug was usually the sharpest tool in the room( except maybe when he was at HEAS). He was also a tool every now and then as well. I remember one instance when we were building the add-on to his trailer and we were moving the solar panels. He got stung by a bee and took some Benadryl .He suddenly turned into a monster and I and the ex-con I brought up to help build the room were pretty scared of him and left for the day. This was reinforced by the fact that he kept a pistol within 6 feet of him at all times. No one was going to get the drop on Doug either physically or intellectually. Doug was a loyal friend and if you were his friend, you were gold. If you crossed him, well ,you were in trouble. Doug was quite the musician and could play just about anything. He was in the Pagan motorcycle band and was shot once on stage. I believe the bullet was still in him when he died. In those days things were rough and they didn't have any netting, so you had to be adept at dodging beer bottles. Because of his love for music and electronics he went on to invent the musicad board and pen a book on Digital sound. Doug had many businesses and ran a successful operation making equipment for the phone supplier, Valcom, in Roanoke Virginia. Doug said he would always find the people he employed at music shops. There seems to be some correlation between music, math, and intelligence. Think of all those physicists who play violin.
Because Doug was a "doer" he got hurt from time to time. He was working on a 6.5 mm Mauser rifle and put a new titanium bolt in it. Unfortunately it lacked the clips needed to secure it. When he fired it, and according to newtons laws, the bullet went forward and the firing pen went backward, shaving off part of his face. The doctor said a few more mm's and he would have been killed. The ironic thing about it was I came up there a few days after it happened, i was nursing a knot on my head from a hand truck that slipped, while carrying a 200# mass spectrometer power supply ( Think of one of those white geese with the knots on there skull). Doug Remarked that he had never seen anybody with a knot on their head that big; this while he was standing there with half of his face hanging off.
Doug wanted his work to continue, so Bob Reite graciously offered to carry on Doug's work and has Doug's fusor reconstructed in his lab in Pennsylvania. Doug and I agreed that Bob would be the best person to take on the task, being that Bob and Doug have similar skill sets.
Doug grew up in Fairfax Virginia and had a really good friend called Frank. They were lab partners at school and the instructor had to immediately separate them after several things "happend" in the lab. Doug also had a good friend, John Bain, that he met at a music store. They later went on to form and play in a band called "Apollo 11".
After Doug passed Frank and John decided to create a fitting tribute to Doug. Doug said he wanted to have his ashes spread on his property, He didn't really say how, So Frank and John came up with the idea of launching Doug's remains up in mortar shells. They obtained the necessary items and fashioned his remains into six 8" mortar shells. On the night of July 4, 2021, we launched Doug into the firmament. To some this may have been a morbid thing to do, but to many, it seemed to be the right thing to do.
So after Shaun, a local preacher that Doug knew, give a eulogy, off Doug went. A final sendoff for a wonderful friend. About a minute after one of Doug's shots, the trees were peppered with his remains, creating the sound of a summers evening light rain. Kind of eerie, but oddly satisfying. Anybody that has any interesting stories ( they probably all are) about Doug, please post. Bill
Attachments
DSCF1885.JPG
Doug ready for launch
Bill Fain

Postby johnf » Fri May 06, 2022 7:24 pm

Thanks Bill
boy time is flying
i'm now the 1.5million dollar man (got a total knee replacement) and just starting to get around again
i saw the SQL error cannot seem to get into the admin area i'll keep trying
johnf

Postby diemkae » Sat May 07, 2022 11:25 am

Thanks, Bill.

Nary a day goes by that I don't think of Doug ... more than once most days.

There are so many projects I would have liked to finish or get into as our time went on but, of course, it did not. Many of them are just not as much fun or as satisfying doing them on my own :-(

In a way, I'm envious that he now KNOWS about the afterlife! I've just read a cool book named "The Case For Christ" by Lee Strobel. Check it out if you've got questions along those lines. I've been a "believer" since the mid-1950s, but this book provided credible answers to all my questions, without any "religious stuff". IMHO, there's still some "faith" involved, but I came away with the feeling that I "made the right decision" at the Billy Graham Crusade @ Madison Square Garden in 1955!

God speed, Doug...
diemkae

Postby Bill Fain » Sat May 07, 2022 12:54 pm

Dave, Hi. Yes I too am a believer. Yes, Doug is probably reading this in maybe one of those +/- eleven dimensions; or whatever they think exists now. If you think about it, Doug's brain waves are traveling out through the universe as we speak. It might take one of his "fine wine" preamps to pull the signal out of the noise, but they are there. Without getting too metaphysical, if that is even the word i need to use, there are too many things we can't explain for us not to believe in a Supreme being ;or the Master Programmer phrase that has been tossed around lately. Einstein's quantum intanglement, or "spooky action at a distance", for example, comes to mind. -bill
Bill Fain

Postby johnf » Tue May 10, 2022 3:29 am

Thanks to Bill for sending me the vid
Gene Roddenberry would have been proud of you guys and I know that Doug is still chuckling
Mortar launch outside Dougs workshop
doug1.jpg

the Eight shells raining down
doug2.jpg

God bless
johnf

Postby Bill Fain » Mon May 01, 2023 7:30 pm

Saturday marks the second anniversary of Doug's death. Even now, occasionally, for a fleeting moment, I think about how to do something and think, "Oh, I'll just ask Doug." As with a relative that has passed, you wish you had listened more closely, asked more questions, and taken better notes.

I must apologize to Bob Reite for only giving him the basic tidbits of information necessary to get Doug's fusor running and attempting to produce the results that Doug obtained that fateful day when the fusor "ran away" (yes, I know, pictures, or it didn't happen). Bob did an amazing job getting the fusor running, as it did in Floyd, after it was moved to Pennsylvania.

Doug liked to "drive" and do everything himself. I never actually ran the fusor from start to finish on my own. As with riding in a car, you don't remember or even acknowledge the directions unless you drive yourself.

Bob had an uphill battle as Doug was never able to repeat the runaway event after we had remotely controlled the fusor. I asked many times, maybe even pleaded with Doug to put all the components back the way they were during the event. He was more content trying to repeat the event by driving the fusor with external means, attempting to replicate what he "thought" had happened. Ironically, this went against Doug's motto of: Why guess when you can measure"?

I told Richard Hull that the fusor Bob now has is a "kinder and gentler fusor" than the one that ran away. I suppose you could draw an analogy to quantum physics in that observing an event actually changes the results. In the fusor's case, making it tame enough so that measurements could be made changed its personality.

Dave Knight sent me a little snippet the other day where he put in some of Doug's information into chat gpt and asked it to write something about Doug:
Describe Doug Coulter's contribution to
Farnsworth
fusor research.

Doug Coulter is a well-known figure in the field of Farnsworth Fusor research, and he has made significant contributions to the development of this technology. Coulter is a physicist and engineer who has been working on Farnsworth Fusors since the 1990s, and he is the founder of Coulter Corporation, a company that specializes in building and testing Farnsworth Fusors.
Coulter's contributions to Farnsworth Fusor research include the design and construction of high-voltage power supplies, vacuum systems, and diagnostic tools that are necessary for the operation of these devices. He has also developed new techniques for measuring the performance of Farnsworth Fusors, which has led to a better understanding of their behavior and potential applications.
One of Coulter's most significant contributions to Farnsworth Fusor research is the development of the "star mode" of operation. This operating mode allows the Fusor to operate at a higher efficiency than traditional modes, and it has been shown to produce significantly higher fusion rates. The star mode has become widely adopted in Farnsworth Fusor research, and it has led to new insights into the behavior of these devices.
Overall, Doug Coulter has made substantial contributions to Farnsworth Fusor research through his innovative designs, experimental techniques, and expertise in high-voltage power supplies and vacuum systems. His work has helped to advance our understanding of this technology and its potential applications in fusion energy and other fields.

Well maybe chat embellished this a little bit, especially the star mode part, but otherwise a pretty good assessment. I'm not sure what Doug would think of chat gpt, although he was always fooling around with neural nets and such. I do think he would not like the fact that with its coding capabilities, people don't actually have to learn much coding anymore. He would be upset with the fact that people don't have to put in any "sweat equity", as he called it.

Please feel free to add your comments about Doug. -Bill
Bill Fain

Postby Bill Fain » Mon May 01, 2023 7:43 pm

Hi, I forgot to mention that Donovan Ready passed away last May. My Condolences to his family. R.I.P. Donovan and you and Doug try to stay out of trouble wherever you are. Bill
Bill Fain

Previous

Return to The water cooler -- disscusions about anything