Nissan leaf 30kW variants

This is where there are basically no rules about topics, or off-topics. Discuss things here of fleeting interest.
Forum rules
Here, you can discuss anything (well, anything legal and not offensive) you want to. Use this for gassing about any half-baked theories, general getting to know one another, and other things that as someone once said, should be forgotten after awhile. This sub forum is set to auto-remove threads that haven't been posted on for a couple weeks, emptied like the office trash can. Almost anything goes here, the idea being to keep the other forums and threads more on topic but in a maximally friendly way. If anything actually worthwhile should wind up here, let me know and I will make it immune from being removed.

Nissan leaf 30kW variants

Postby johnf » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:29 am

preprints201803.0122.v1.pdf
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 6 times

Oh yes and the 40kW version

Ps you will see my name in the peer review section near the end
and bugger I have a 30kW one thats losing 0.2% SOH (state of battery health per day) and data from my leaf is in the report

pass this on to as many who will listen
might save them much angst
johnf

Re: Nissan leaf 30kW variants

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:21 am

Leaf battery issues (and the resulting crappy response from Nissan) were heavily discussed before this on the GM-Volt forums (for Volt fanbois to feel superior) some time back, likely before this issue with the larger ones came up.

To cut costs, Nissan was the only manufacturer to:
Use the entire capacity - everyone else used some percent in the middle...
Not use battery temperature control (GM uses it by-cell).

A huge percentage of Leaf batteries failed very early in the US desert states, and Nissan tried to get out of honoring warranty, claiming using the cars outdoors was "abuse".
Evidently they don't like it hot. Nissan eventually caved in on that but I don't know the details. Obviously the publicity was going to kill them and they wanted it kept quiet.
(Eg, only Nisan haters picked up on it and tooted their own horns about it).

No LiIon likes to be fully cycled, or pushed hard at either charge extreme. The 2012 Volt uses only the middle 9.5kwh out of a nominal 13kw pack. Later ones used more, and yet later ones got a bigger pack. I hear the blue book value on these depreciates like a stuck pig. My personal one - the most conservative of all brands, types, and years - still gets ~45 mi / charge (rated at 35) after 25k miles all electric, or nearly. Not huge, but I don't drive too much and half of it is doing truck stuff...
If you want ammo on Nissan, though, that earlier incident should help, they really stepped on their crank.

I'd have to rejoin that forum for details - it's old news - but it was a big deal for the Volt guys slapping their own backs.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Re: Nissan leaf 30kW variants

Postby Doug Coulter » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:53 am

I couldn't easily find the comments I remembered, but I did get back into the GM-Volt forum and they have a subforum for leafs if that is any help:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?282-Nissan

There are quite a few mentions of Leaf battery issues, particularly in the later pages (older) thread listings. The general feeling (remember these are Volt fanbois) is that Leaf owners didn't get what they didn't pay for (we were acutely aware of pricing then and the other electrics cost tons more per "almost any parameter") - Nissan made promises it couldn't keep...and then was not very good about making things right, either.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to The water cooler -- disscusions about anything