Showing the effect of purity on output and Q

Data from actual runs of fusors goes here, we can discuss it elesewhere in other sub forums I will create as needed -- let me know.
Forum rules
Put data and fusor information from actual runs here. We'd like to know how well you are doing, and how you did it in some detail here. We can discuss elsewhere, this is for real reports from actual experiments only, or at least, mainly.

Showing the effect of purity on output and Q

Postby Doug Coulter » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:23 pm

While I was running today (several runs since heck, I'm able to stay on a lower-rad diet now) - I did one run in which I wasn't getting quite the expected results for the power input, so I let the gas out of the tank (the turbo is pretty effective even at 1/4 speed if the forepump is running and valved in) down to something e-6 millibar, then filled it back in again - you can see the steps of gas pressure as I push the inlet solenoide button, even though the signal has been logged before we see it plotted linearly.

With the pure gas (the old stuff had been collecting impurities due to outgassing I expect - even with a base pressure of 3e-8 mbar, there's always some), the results got better.
So, here's the absolutely raw data for that:
StaleNFreshD.png
Raw data aq plot

On the left plot, red is the main high voltage, green is current, and blue is pressure (logged). So you can see where I turned off the main HV, then opened the valve to the forepump and got it clean (more or lss, it'll go lower but this is4 orders magnitude below where we run normally). You can then see where I turned on the HV again, and started letting in gas till it "lit off". Note the difference in neutron output. I turned it off at 350 seconds or so, and got the silver out of the neutron oven so as to watch it decay - that's why there's a tapering off of the geiger counts at the end with nearly no neutrons (just cosmic ray background there).

So, we obviously do better with purer fuel. We get around 5 9's net at first, obviously it gets worse sitting in the tank with outgassing going on. We bought 6'9s good gas, but lost a 9 in the transfer to the smaller tank (despite heoric bake out and so on).

Now here's another set of plots, these analyze Q, in units of neutrons counted per second per watt input. (not any practical units, but good for comparing). I had to edit the log files and take out some serious outliers to make these about the same scale.
We sometimes get a fairly big burst of neutrons at onsets - before the current monitor can respond, due to a limit in this data aq system. That makes for Q readings on this scale of thousands. Nope, it's not that good, better to edit out the points and not tell lies. Also, since this all autoscales, so I can see some detail in the parts we know are correct. Guess which is the stale gas in this:
QStaleFreshD.png
If you can't tell, something's wrong

Note with the stale stuff, Q goes down at higher currents much more than with fresh. I'm pretty sure we can figure a reason for that. Like most systems, most of my contamination is water...
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Run Data -- just the facts please.