Today's find: Scintillator detector

Nuclear related topics

Today's find: Scintillator detector

Postby Jerry » Fri May 04, 2012 1:03 am

Picked this up today when I went to R5-D3 looking for some HV diodes for a friends SEM. A Harshaw Type 6C4 NaI(Tl) Scintillation crystal attached to a 6199 RCA PMT. I pulled the electrical tape loose and it looks good. The crystal is clear and the optical matching compound looks good. Later on I will tape it back up with come black camera tape.

Now I need to get a socket and resistor to make up a divider and I will have yet another thing I do not need!

-Jerry

Oh, paid $2.

IMG_2238 by macona, on Flickr
Jerry

Re: Today's find: Scintillator detector

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri May 04, 2012 8:44 am

I know Brian Gage was looking for one of these. You might want one handy too once we come up with the cheap PHA/MCA.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Brian Gage » Fri May 04, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi,
Doug alerted me to your find. Doug Moore of the Geiger Counter Enthusiasts forum has offered to send me a slightly discolored 2" diameter Harshaw NaI crystal in an aluminum billet for experimentation, free. I've a 2.4" face diameter PMT I bought from Richard Hull, so I'm going to be fiddling with scintillators over the next few months. Do you want to sell the crystal, and if so, how much?
Best if you replied directly to briangage@shaw.ca as navigating through forum posts with my screen reader is a bit difficult.
Regards
Brian Gage

Postby Jerry » Mon May 07, 2012 6:48 pm

No, I am going to keep this one. Don't know when or if I will come across another.
Jerry

Return to Nuclear