Got a new toy (Geiger)

Nuclear related topics

Re: Got a new toy (Geiger)

Postby Jerry » Tue May 24, 2011 1:12 am

Oh, I meant they had to be beta's or alpha's as the aluminum would not even be there for the gamma's.

I took my geiger to the local dorkbot gathering. Turns out one of the guys there brought his little geiger. Pretty small sensor, less than 1/2" in diameter and maybe 1 1/2" long with a mica end window. I couldnt tell if it was reacting to the T tubes or not. He seemed to think so but I couldnt tell from background. All his had was a clicker and a led that lit up. Not too surprising. Thats a considerably smaller volume than mine. I have a couple more probes I bought from Richard Hull and a piece of U ore coming from him. They are the same model so I will take a pic of the tube if you are interested.

Just giving you a hard time on the scope. We are forecasted rain for the near future. I hope this summer dosnt turn out like last. Last year was very cool and wet. Thats no fun.
Jerry

Postby Doug Coulter » Tue May 24, 2011 11:19 am

It's fairly amazing you can see that with a conventional geiger at all -- low energy gammas just don't do much with gas. And even a big exit sign isn't all that loud here -- had there been another source there, that peak would have been tiny in comparison to the rest of the plot. I guess I'd have to think the mechanism was beta hits glass and becomes a somewhat lower energy photon, which then can get through - the window on my Gamma spec isn't super thin itself, but is Be. But it is interesting that the "experts" were wrong. I wasn't terribly surprised to see this on the most sensitive thing I've ever owned, but a geiger counter is fairly amazing.

Yeah, it's raining now, so no takee scope outside to test. Where you live I guess "rainy season" has a whole new meaning. We're getting a lot more than usual here, but that's probably just the usual unpredictability of our mountain weather, about which we say "if you don't like it now, wait a few minutes". It's nothing special to see snow out of a clear sky, or walk just a few feet from a torrential downpour to completely clear around here. Though it has been usually bad for solar power the last couple weeks.

I left new member registration enabled overnight so a guy who asked me could register and even set him up with an account, and this morning -- he's not there, but two spam bots were, and one had already started trying to sell drugs on the board. Too bad for them - gone now, and the IP address they rode in on. And the drugs weren't interesting anyway. Makes me want to tune up the rifles and go hunting for two legged predators. A nice gut shot on a spammer so it takes them a long time to die sounds about right.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Jerry » Wed May 25, 2011 12:09 am

Are you using Re-captcha for verification. When we started using that and not the included verification device that came with phpBB it totally killed spam bots.
Jerry

Previous

Return to Nuclear