Samuel from New York

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Samuel from New York

Postby Samuel » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:39 am

Hi, thank you for allowing me in your forum. I am Samuel ,29 years old,from Washington Heights,New York.This Fall I will be attending The New York College of Technology for Electrical Engineering .I am here to learn as much as I can about Science,Engineering,Electricity , Electronics and hopefully one day I can teach something back .I saw Doug's video about nuclear fusion ,and you got my attention .I hope to be around to see you accomplish your goal.

Thank you again ,I will see you around.
Samuel

Re: Samuel from New York

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:10 am

Well, I do hope to accomplish it, so if you have a normal lifespan and I do, you'll see it, we're closer than I've yet reported...all that fussy stuff about replicating results and trying to get another lab to do so also - we try to play by the better rules here, though we have a healthy disrespect for "academic authority" on the side, we try to never "cheat" the few good rules they've come up with either, even though they now do so regularly out of ignorance.

That said, welcome, read, use the search function, some of this might start out being much more advanced than where you are now, but you'll get there if you try - For begginer stuff, the ARRL handbooks of yore when hams still built things are about the most concise explanations of basic EE there are out there. A little more advanced is Fredrick Terman's Radio Engineer's handbook. Most of even the modern stuff flows from that WWII tome, it's amazing how well he anticipated things, it's just that we now work more with semiconductors than vacuum tubes - but a resistor is still a resistor, a gain element is what it is, even though it uses somewhat different speeds and feeds...and so on.

Welcome aboard...hope this works out for ya.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Samuel » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:16 pm

Thank you so much for the handbooks recommendation, I already downloaded a PDF file of the ARRL handbook,hopefully I can get a paper copy of it , I will work on getting Fredrick's Terman's Radio Engineer's handbook tonight. Again, I like to thank you for the recommendations ,and if you can think of any other handbook or book I should study as a beginner please let me know.
Samuel

Postby fusordoug » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:27 pm

Thought I had this up already in the books section, but David Halliday's "Introductory Nuclear Physics" Asia edition is usually quite cheap used and pretty much handles all the physics we are actually doing here.
It's from a period when good scientists were actually trying to communicate and impart understanding, rather than impress you with baffle-gab and jargon, like it is now. Very clear, real units used and specified, worked examples so you can test your own math against them and so on. A real gem. Most of us find it used on Amazon.

What I find amazing about the guy is his guesses, honestly identified as such, that have turned out to be true in light of later physics discoveries. He had "the knack" or feel of how the universe works. Rare indeed.
Why guess when you can know? Measure!
fusordoug
Site Admin

Postby Doug Coulter » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Here's another pretty good link. Almost the older the ARRL book, the better, since back then people actually still made radios instead of just buying them. Lots of goodies and some losers here, but the price is right...just some download time.
http://www.tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Samuel » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:51 am

I really appreciate your help Doug!! I owe you big time!!
Samuel

Return to Announce yourself