Announce i'm here lol

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Announce i'm here lol

Postby cafemary » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:33 pm

Hello alll,my name is Mary i thought< [not what i should ever do]was a name handle whatever, when i was joining and only name i have is cafemary giving to me from my friends as to whenever they came over, i always had coffee or drinks and ofcourse food ready.so i'm not hiding behind some name.I'm a say what you meam,mean what you say kinda person.do not ask me if you cant handle the truth,i give it the way i want it,straight out.i came across one of your video's on you tube,i like learning and i like people that think out of the BOX schools try to hold us in..I moved from Boston into a place i bought 6 yrs ago here in the blueridge.[rocky mount va] its a challenge to say the least..I've been here 3 yrs. and worked the land everyday.and reading learning as much as i can ask,i may know something and i'm more then happy to share.getting off the grid and more would be a wonderful place for everyone.from city to country oh just throw them seeds on the ground! lol my garden is seeing better days thanx to me reading.the best you can do for your soil is read about biochar< costless and last 1000s of years no chems needed ever.right now i'm building a dome and 3 winter gardens for chickens to feast on..i wanted to share about your solar panel battery pac, i seen you were replaceing them have you thought of Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery? they last ALOT longer take more charges[i think like 1000 charges]..i'm looking into capacitors a guy on you tube has done alot with them and his car.but also they are being used in buses in china,and i'm thinking someone[?] may not want use using them.as main stream say they lose shelf life charges but i have found more then a few say they hold charges for longer they found when they tested then battery's and no dont just bleed out when in use.but this is not something i understand easy alot of reading had me going.and the fact these people are not making money and are just trying to share the info they found with others,i'm sorry i'm blabbing its late and sun rise is fast,,just wanted to say hello and im a few miles away as the crow fly's .keep the good work up! and thank you for letting me join in
cafemary

Re: Announce i'm here lol

Postby Jerry » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:44 am

Supercar still have no where the energy density of batteries. They are getting better. The caps in the busses are probably being used to capture the regenerated energy from braking, they can absorb much higher currents than batteries can.

I have a bunch of LiFe batteries you mention and they are nice but 1000 charges is still not much and they are pretty spendy. You also need special charge monitoring circuits so you dont fry them.
Jerry

Postby johnf » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:36 am

Welcome Mary
I did visit Va last year stayed with Doug for a week

very similar territory to NZ where I live without the climate extremes
oh yes but we have Hobbits
johnf

Postby fusordoug » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:23 am

Hi Mary, and welcome. That was a bit run-on to read, but it looks like we're neighbors, or nearly. Yes, when I moved here ~35 years ago as a city boy, I found there was a lot to learn, and have since learned that in re gardening, yeah, it's not just putting seeds on the ground...but also nothing bio lasts 100's of years...it's an ongoing thing. Our main thrust here is science, not that much emphasis on off-grid stuff, but some, so far, as that's not been a real topic of interest in the current membership of scientists, 100% of whom use real names period, because it matters in real life...anyone can claim a handle and steal any idea you post under a fake name after all, and we tend to like to use the same names we use on the phone etc.

Of course, no one with a name like satan666 is getting on here no matter if I did let them register...or a name like wpoeifjslc which is obviously a spam-bot, which we've had issues with in the past.

I'm sure you'll see a lot of mod action for awhile. I've let in just about everyone who even has a legible fake name, and our mods will (not so) gently remind them all to get a name or get lost. This isn't social media, it's a book we are jointly writing on how to do things - there are other places for that kind of thing. We use the water cooler to just gas on about stuff, since after a little while, an untended thread there just goes away as befits the office trash can.
Why guess when you can know? Measure!
fusordoug
Site Admin

Postby fusordoug » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:50 am

Mary, lipo batteries didn't exist when I went off-grid in 1979. The submarine batteries I have are only a little less good than the best you can get now and are guaranteed to go 25 years, which might exceed my lifespan. It's a done job anyway.
As Nissan found out, lipo's have "issues" if you don't treat them very specially like say, GM does in the volt - individual temperature controls, individual charge controls (takes 120 microprocessors in the Volt) and so on or they can't even guarantee them for 10 years.

As Jerry said, supercaps are a joke so far. "Press release" science isn't practical technology, it's just some guy fishing for more grant money in almost 100% of cases - a lot of people fall for it because they want to believe things are better than they really are in the world, but are setting themselves up for disappointment. Were it otherwise, I'd already have my flying car.

John would know about hobbits....He's our favourite one.
Why guess when you can know? Measure!
fusordoug
Site Admin

Return to Announce yourself