An eyup from Yorkshire

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

An eyup from Yorkshire

Postby Tim Skinner » Sun May 04, 2014 11:51 am

Eyup, anyone for tea?

I found this place after stumbling on a video of Doug's homebrew fusion project, so decided to come and learn as much as I can. I must admit some of the projects on here seem somewhat intimidating, but I hope to be able to contribute to the torrent of ideas in some small way!

I rediscovered a passion for shed-engineering and tinkering after accidentally going to university in my 30's to study architecture, and now working as a freelance CAD designer - doesn't pay very much, but provides all the time I wish to pursue new skills such as CAM and machining with a view to creating a business building desktop rapid-prototyping machines for the home workshop

Anything you want to know about me, ask away :)
Tim Skinner

Re: An eyup from Yorkshire

Postby Doug Coulter » Sun May 04, 2014 12:38 pm

Welcome to the loony bin!

I'm generally up for tea, but hold the milk. Yes, this is a site where a lot of really talented people post their cool projects, and we do try and keep it like that as much as possible, so noise doesn't hide the content - there are plenty of places for half-arsed stuff already out there.

The point here is to communicate that this stuff is:
1. possible - even for a person, not having to be a big corp
2. how guys who actually do this stuff, do this stuff - tricks of the trade, as it were - most of which are kept a secret by the big outfits. Here, it's the point to share the tricks - in particular the ones that make the seeming impossible, possible and even easy.

Yes, a few of us are "well off" and approximate even a mid size business in resources. They do the really amazing/intimidating stuff, and we are glad they are here and sharing. Them's the breaks, and the probable reason is that the person IS that good and has managed to get rewarded in the past for doing what they do.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Return to Announce yourself