Jay Wolf Pr. Elite Ammunition

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.

Jay Wolf Pr. Elite Ammunition

Postby Jay Wolf » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:40 pm

Hello Gentlemen.

Like the title says, name is Jay and pr. of EA.

I specialize in all things 5.7x28mm ammunition and it's platforms. I have been making custom 5.7 ammo for 8 years now including custom bullets of my own design optimized for the 5.7. Also every sort of extra like night sights for the FsN, custom slides, custom work on them and most recently a custom short trigger. I also do bench rest quality big game rounds custom tailored to the individuals needs.

But mostly I put holes through shit people say can't have holes put through with a handgun.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"
Jay Wolf

Re: Jay Wolf Pr. Elite Ammunition

Postby Doug Coulter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:41 pm

Ah, another gun-crank. Welcome! I believe Migs is also a fairly serious handgun guy (I tend more to rifles, myself, because I have skinny arms and rifles work better for me).

I have one of these myself. Still getting dialed in on shooting it well. Mine does indeed put holes in things most handguns will not, but it seems to unlock while still under too-high chamber pressure and pushes the cartridge neck forward about 50 mills or so, which is really hard on brass, to say the least. It also emits enough gas doing that to knock my shooting glasses off sometimes. I originally made my own dies, but also now have some from Hornady. Would be nice to find a source of un-mangled brass. I am thinking really hard about making a bolt-gun for these that will be a lot easier on that component. Seems like it'd be better for my use protecting my garden than either .22 lr or say, something too big - .204 ruger (blow my window out and my ears).

I got mine WAY back when they were first available. Seems the mil-spec ammo was Ti cored. Or, well, some white metal that is definitely not Al, lead, or anything else I know about. I sectioned a bullet and got the core yellow hot without melting it.
Perhaps that's why they were so much lighter than the shorter Hornady bullet that became the thing you can buy easier.

You should probably start a thread on these on guns&ammo (or more than one). I'd like to know what you do to optimize this puppy. I have all my other handguns singing a sweet tune, but this one not as much - yet.

I'd have that semi-auto rifle too, but I just don't get along with bullpups.

Did you know that Harrison Ford scene was totally ad-lib and unscripted? Of course, it was good and widely recognized as such. He'd had the flu and was supposed to do a complex fight scene there...but everyone handled the ad-lib fine, so they rolled with it.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Jay Wolf » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:00 pm

Yep I knew about that trivia.

The neck is supposed to move like that with the 5.7. The neck movement is part of the function of the delayed blow back action of the pistol and the straight blow back of the PS90. This round operates unlike any other except the 4.6 HK.

There are some tricks you need to do to get the best out of the 5.7 out of a bolt action but you need greater insight on the round.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Jay Wolf

Postby Doug Coulter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Could be I do need more insight. I did do some reloading (for the pistol) with 40 gr .223 bullets and Unique...perhaps a little fast burning for this, as the other forums told me, dunno. I could only find Hornady bullets that light - and I've not had the greatest of luck with them - they tend to be slightly undersize compared to say, Sierra - so some guns like them, some not.

I'd suppose if I wanted an accurate bolt (and I do) you do the usual - pick a bullet, choose the barrel of the right twist for that bullet and the velocity expected, and build your gun around that. It works for all the other rounds. I'd like to shoot this guy more...but that neck motion really shortens the brass life, and I don't have a supply other than what I can recover out of the grass. Being plastic coated, it doesn't respond too well to tumbler cleaning either - messes up the plastic some.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Doug Coulter

Postby Jay Wolf » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:23 pm

The polymer coating is needed for proper operation. Extraction on both platforms and feeding through the 50 PS/P90 magazine. If you remove it you can only use the brass in a bolt gun. The flip side is that since you don't have to protect the coating you can anneal the neck.

The best bullets for this round are under 50gr. It uses 50,ooo PSI working pressure with light bullets for SPEED. Speed is what makes this round work.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Jay Wolf

Return to Announce yourself